1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Biggest Musical Act That You've Seen Live?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by withersea, Jul 19, 2006.

1. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I noticed in the"how old are you" thread that several people listed bands that they have seen. Who do you consider to be the biggest act you have seen and when did you see them (if you can remember).

Me?

Led Zeppelin in 1975 at a cost of $12.00 and the Rolling Stones last October.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saw Pink Floyd's "Momentary Lapse of Reason" tour and their "Pulse" tour. Some might argue how you define a band's "bigness" but if you've ever been to a Floyd concert, you understand "BIG".

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably The Who in 1986? 25th Anniversary Tour in KC...whatever the football stadium is there. Decent floor seats and caught a buzz from all the pot everyone around us was smoking. Even got stopped on the way home and the cop smelled it on us and insisted on searching the car...we'd never touched the stuff.

Rush in OKC was a close second, indoor arena, but dang it seemed big from up in the nosebleed section.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm.... well the biggest act in my eyes (i'm a real fan) was the smashing pumpkins. DH and i saw them at their last show in milwaukee. actually i think that show began our relationship. :D

came soooo close to snagging tickets to their last show ever in chicago... grr.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, man, this takes me back a few years. I stopped buying concert tickets when I realised I could buy the entire collection on cd for about the same price. I saw the Stones in Seattle for $20 in the early 80s, and I still have the tshirt. I've also seen Pink Floyd, Dire Straights, Supertramp, Bob Dylan...U2 played the university pub the year before I started...my wife saw the Beatles!...fortunately, my teenage daughters have an influence on what I listen to now.

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I'd have to say Cream at Madison Square Garden last Oct. (saw them two nights!), as they only come around every 37 years! Also, I've probably seen the Who a dozen times since the 70's- last time I saw them was on the tour just before John Entwhistle died (so that would have been '01 or '02)- they are probably the best band live, and the last time I saw them they were incredible (hope to get tickets for this year's tour!) And I have also been to a couple of incredible Pink Floyd shows (RIP Syd Barrett!)
    As far as newer bands go (like from the 90's :) ), I've always liked the Dave Matthews Band, but I finally got to see them in concert a few weeks ago in NJ- great show.
    And, of course, there was the Grateful Dead!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 19 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]288903[/snapback]</div>
    I was at a Who concert where this girl got very high and climbed up one of those towers they use for lights. She fell off, and fortunately didn't get hurt, although as I recall a guy she landed on got a broken arm.

7. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 19 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]288903[/snapback]</div>
    I saw The Who on their "final" tour in 1983 or 1984. The Clash was the second band in the show and they put The Who to shame. Saw U2 in 1982 before people knew much about them, great show.

8. mouztrpd

mouztrpd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ELP in Omaha (first one I went to), Stones in SLC.

9. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

The Who a 1/2 dozen times in early 70s (they were all actually alive then)... Then BRUCE two nights at the Continental, then called the Brendan Byrne Areana in NJ, when they opened that arena in I think 1981

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure how you define "biggest act." Biggest audience? Largest number of performers? Most spectacular performance?

About 4 years ago at Christmastime, I saw Messiah performed by the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra in combination with I-forget-which local choral group. It was amazing. The first violinist in the FMSO is good enough to be in any big-city symphony in the world. The trumpet soloist was a little bit weak, but the performance was breathtaking. Even for an atheist!

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Jul 19 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]289077[/snapback]</div>
    How could I forget Bruce- being a Jersey guy! Have seen him many times (including at the Stone Pony in the 70's). Last time was in Philadelphia with REM on the "Vote for Change" tour Oct 2004. The best Bruce concert I ever saw was at the Tower Theatre, Phila., New Years Eve 1975.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Woodstock! I wish I would have seen Pink Floyd. I saw a few others Cream, Bruce, MC5, Moody Blues, in an out door venue, Doors, BS&T in a Village Club before they were discovered, The Original Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Miles Davis.

13. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Chicago--at Lynchburg (Va) College-1969

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young--on a hillside in Park City, UT, 1974 (all-time fave)

Doobies and Creedence---on the same bill for $20!--- at the Solano Co. (CA) Fair, 2004

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd say Jimi at the Shell, there was an incredibly bright light behind Diamond Head that for the longest time I couldn't figure out what it was. Turned out it was a full moon rising up from behind, but then there were also some things that were melting that night.

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Beach Boys
    Sacramento Convention Center
    December 21, 1974

“Big†because it was my first time taking a girlfriend to a concert. We were 15, and rode the bus. B) :lol:

16. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Biggest in terms of audience - Jackson's Victory Tour (early 80's I think)

Best - too many to choose from (Stones, Doobies, The Dead, Phil Collins, Billy Joel)

17. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Paul Simon and Bob Dylan together at Starwood in Nashville a few years ago.

Back in the day, the Kinks, Doobie Bros, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Dan Fogelberg (big sigh), Kenny Loggins, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullit Band, Super Tramp's Breakfast in America Tour, Steve Forbert, and Poco.

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not old enough to have seen many of the classic groups in their heydays, but I was lucky enough to see them in the late 80's & early 90's.
    • The Who @ Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia
    • Eagles @ Giants Stadium, NJ
    • Pink Floyd @ Veterans Stadium & Giants Stadium
    A couple other awesome shows I've been to:
    • Billy Joel & Elton John @ Veterans Stadium
    • Springsteen @ <formerly> Brendan Byrne Arena, NJ
    • Paul Simon & Bob Dylan @ Garden State Arts Center

19. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Glad to see one other person with Emerson Lake and Palmer in their repetoire! Pink FLoyd x2, always a big show!! Santana in the open air theater at SDSU....best way to chill with that music. Def Lepard, AeroSmith...obviusly a rocker in the day. Had a BF that actually fell asleep in the AC DC concert...didn't keep him...

Biggest regret...never saw Stevie Ray Vaughn.

20. SAPrius

SAPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Mrs and I always enjoy the Moody Blues when they come to town. However, the coolest was our third Jethro Tull concert. Unbeknownst to us, Ian Anderson had twisted or broken an ankle a few days prior. As the concert began, he was singing out of sight, off-stage. When he rolled out in a wheelchair, everyone was momentarily taken aback, but to his credit Ian put on a great show! He was just as animated as ever, as those of you Tull fans know he can be! "Hey, Aqualung!" :)