1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Biggest size woofers in stock locations?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by D Unit, Oct 17, 2011.

1. D Unit

D Unit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know many people have gotten a 6.5" to work but what's the maximum depth limit? What's the biggest speaker that will fit in the tweeter/dash location as well?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can take a door panel off in less than 10 minutes and measure it yourself. What will fit also depends on how much work you are willing to do. Anything much bigger than 6.5 inches will be bigger than the grill holes punched in the door panel and would require door panel surgery and a new grill.

The have been a few writeups on PC on installing 3.5 inch dash speakers. A 3.5 inch requires some dash carving, anything bigger would be a significantly bigger job

3. D Unit

D Unit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Barring the fact that I'm not in front of my Prius right now and was busy watching my 2 year old last night, anyone know what's the biggest woofer (including depth) that will fit on the door without any cutting of the door frame? I'm currently in the middle of upgrading my audio in my BMW so if someone knows offhand that would be great.

Thanks xs650 for mentioning the 3.5" in the squawkers, I'm gonna look them up. I'm still trying to decide whether to do a 2way, 3way, or augmented wide band approach.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's my writeup on the Pioneer TS-A878 3.5 inch dash speakers. They aren't the ultimate speaker but make a big difference over stock for $50/pair.

Gen3DashSpeakers.pdf

1 person likes this.