Biggest tires you can put on a stock Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Higgins909, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Gen 3 III trim. This has recently crossed my mind. I've seen examples of people putting bigger tires on the stock 15" rims but they also have a Tema 4x4 lift. It looks like there is quite a bit of room. The main worry would be the front when turning. Using tiresize's calculator 205/65R15 sounds like it would fit and wouldn't mess the speedo up too much. I've recently realized the Prius V actually has bigger tires/rims than the regular Prius. Probably half a year ago I saw one at the bank and was checking out it's tires and thought they looked kind of big.

Not sure I will go this route, if I actually ever buy tires, but does anyone know the biggest you can fit on a stock Gen 3 Prius?

2. w84me

w84me Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Give priusoffroad a follow on social media. They are fitting a 215/70/15 with their lift on a gen 3. All other info can be found on their page

PriusOffroad likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Someone post the gen 2 prius with the monster wheels on please.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  5. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could not find them with "priusoffroad" searched in google.

I've needed new tires for a very long time and keep putting it off. At the rate I'm going, the car could be done before I put new tires on it. If the car passes my oil test, I will put some money into the car. Some of the roads I drive on are kind of shoddy and I want more comfort and newer tires that are not the cheapest tires you can get, must have better handling as well. (I'm looking at a bigger tire for comfort and a better tire for handling)

Feeling around I think I could safely put 215/XXR15 on, but others input before I spend $400~ on tires would be good. (After my oil test that may start in a week or so, user error) Local shop apparently has a tire I like in 205/65R15 92H, which is the biggest size in a 15 rim that they have, but I'm still looking around and may have found other problems with the car, related to crappy roads.

6. w84me

w84me Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Priusoffroad - Prius Offroad, Lift Kits

PriusOffroad likes this.
  7. PriusOffroad

PriusOffroad Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We've gone down this rabbit hole a time or two and have several different answers for you depending on how much rubbing you are okay with. TECHNICALLY speaking a 215/70R15 (27") tire WILL fit in stock form, but it will rub when you bottom out or in hard turns with bumps. With our 1.5" lift we have yet to get any rubbing under any circumstances with a 215/70R15. If you wanted to get rid of the rubbing in stock form you should shoot for an overall diameter of 26". Speaking from experience, 27.4" is the absolutely maximum you can run (regardless of how big of a lift you run, without the tire rubbing on the bottom coil mount of the front struts. 27.6" will just barely rub. Keep in mind if you plan on going through mud, running snow chains, or even small rocks getting caught in the tread you will want some clearance.