1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bike-Rack (strap-on, for the hatch)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by john1701a, May 31, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought a "Saris Bones" bike-rack for the 2004 Prius today, for $124.99

See...

[​IMG]

There are 3 different shots on my website, in quite a variety of resolutions. I used this opportunity to create a webpage for comparing 3, 5, and 8 megapixel digital photos. Check'em out.

Anywho, somewhere around 90 percent of the carrying weight is placed on the bottom two legs. So the other two touching the glass are really only for balance. (And my first hatchback was a Dodge Omni. On that, I also had two legs for a bike-rack making contact with the glass. It was never a problem.)

You can push those two legs touching the glass closer down to the spoiler if you want to push the rack further out. But there isn't any reason to. It fit very nicely that way shown in the photos.

The feet on the legs are really squishy. They will squish down flat for an even better hold when supporting bikes (up to three).

There are two top straps, two side, and two bottom. Each secured effortlessly, with plenty of strap remaining too (which can be neatly tucked into the middle-tube afterward).

The only rubbing that you have to worry about at all is with the two tops straps. They ever-so-slightly make contact with the spoiler. A simply remedy is to tie the excess strap to the rack itself. That would lift the clamp off the spoiler.

All the straps secured very snug, in only seconds after you complete the initial fitting. So putting in on and taking it off only takes a moment.

Happy Biking!

2. windsurfdog

windsurfdog New Member

John,
    Thanks for the wonderful photos. I'm very interested in this product after seeing yours. My only concern is the metal buckles at the spoiler. I'll be very interested in reading your comments about these buckles and the spoiler after you've put some miles on the rack. BTW, love your site, too and I'm still using your fact sheet as my "de-fact-o" standard.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OT, but John, did you buy or just borrow the 8700. Seems like a heck of a camera for the advanced amateur. But the images on your site are not very sharp and have a lot of noise in any solid colored area....and I know the sharpness isn't due to hand holding.

One of the downsides of cramming more pixels on the same size sensor is that the quality of each individual pixel goes down. But I doubt Nikon would be marketing a $1k camera with that poor of quality. I wonder if it's the in-camera settings you used that caused that (i.e. lower quality JPEG with minimal sharpening and high ISO?).

FWIW, as a converted digital shooter myself (Nikon D70) but long time serious (semi-pro) film shooter I can't completely agree that digital is the end all be all for everything. Film still has and probably always will have a place, though digital certainly offers many advantages over film in a lot of areas.

Argh, Danny, how do you get this new system to compress the images?

4. peart75

peart75 New Member

John, thanks for this post. i have the 2 bike version of this and was wondering if i should keep it or get a hitch setup. i was worried about such physical contact w/ my soon to be new car. i think it may not be as bad as i was thinking.

thanks again,
    drew

5. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I had the Saris Bones for my 2001. It's an excellent rack, and a much better design than most other strap-on racks out there from any company. It's very sturdy and very adjustable.

However, there were a few issues:

1) The metal buckles would sometimes rub on the spoiler. The solution was to wrap them with a towel.

2) It's a pain-in-the-@ss to put on and off. This was especially problematic on the 2001 since there is no access to the trunk except from the outside. If the rack is on then you're SOL.

3) The rack feet and the bumper had to be cleaned whenever you installed the rack if you didn't want micro scratches on the rear bumper. I suppose you could put a plastic sticky there to protect it though.

So, for my 2004 I went with Coastal Dave's hitch instead. It took me about an hour to install. I got the Yakima KingPin 4 to mate with it. Once the rack is assembled and the hitch is installed on the car, it's only a few minutes to install the rack on the hitch.

[Broken External Image]:http://rackattack.com/cart/product-images/202401.jpg

With the Yakima's arms extended for holding bikes, there are several centimetres of clearance between the rack and the trunk when the door is opening. ie. I can open the hatch with the rack installed.

With the arms folded down (when no bikes are attached), there is still enough room to open the hatch, but I have to be more careful since the clearance is less than 5 mm. However, even if there were no clearance, a pin can be removed to allow the whole rack to bend down, opening up space to open the hatch. (I haven't tried the Thule racks, but the guy at the store said there may be a bit more clearance with those, but YMMV. I chose the Yakima, because I preferred the design of the bindings and because it was cheaper.)

So the big advantages of a hitch + hitch-mounted bike rack combo:

1) I can open the hatch/trunk with the rack installed, regardless if bikes are on the rack or not.
    2) It takes only 2 minutes to install/remove the rack.

Because it's so easy to remove the rack, it's easily stolen as is, but I just got a locking bolt for it. I also got a rack arm lock that will lock the outside-most bike to the rack. And to be doubly safe, I'll use cable locks to attach the bikes to the hitch. (I did this too with the Saris Bones. I ran a cable thru the middle tube, and then locked it to the ring on the bottom of the car frame.)

BTW, even though I got a 4-bike rack, I don't think it's appropriate to put 4 bikes on it, with Coastal Dave's Class I hitch. 3 bikes should be fine though. I just removed a set of attachments so I can only put 3 bikes on it anyway now. And if you want to save room, you can get a 2-bike version of this rack.

BTW, anyone in Toronto wanna buy a Saris Bones 3-bike rack? :D

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow 124.99 for a bike rack? man i got mine at a garage
    sale for $10. i also had the metal clips too but i just put
    two layers of heat shrink tubing on em. besides if placed
    on there correctly, the clips dont slide around or
    nothing. I used the same rack on my corolla for 3 years
    and never got a scratch on it that i noticed. the shrink
    tubing has only been on there since I got my Prius...

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Well, $10 at a garage sale can get you a great rack, or utter garbage, depending on how lucky you are.

As for the $125 price for a new Saris Bones rack, I think it's justified. It is simply the best strap-on rack in existence IMO.

Also, while there are many good strap-on racks out there, there are some bad ones out there too. Some of the lower end racks do really suffer from shoddy build quality, and I wouldn't want to trust several thousand dollars worth of bikes to them, nor would I want to trust the safety of cars behind me to them either.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i really had no idea how expensive they were when i got
    mine. it was in good shape. i have replaced the buckles
    on it (they had little metal ones and i went with bigger
    plastic ones that had better locks) but it works for me
    and my bike weighs 40 lbs.