1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ichabod, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure I've seen a picture like this one, so I thought I'd post for the benfit of anyone interested. I carry bikes sometimes, but I don't want a roof rack, and I don't think I want the trailer hitch. So I stuck my cheapo bike rack (probably < $30) on my Prius to check it out. One complaint I have seen about racks is not being able to open the hatch, so I included shots with the hatch open, even with the bike still on it (though I probably wouldn't do that under almost any real-world circumstances). It has rubber-coated hooks, so I think it's pretty safe for the paint. I would have put my nice road bike on there to show it off, but my commute bike matches the color of my car so much better :)

[attachmentid=4554]

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info. What brand is it and where did you get it? It looks similar to one I had a few years ago that served me well, but I can't remember where I got it.

Since you think the hooks won't hurt the paint, I gather you haven't been using it long. That would be my biggest concern.

Just curious: It looks like a Trek bike. If so, what model? Looks somewhat like mine.

Thanks,

Jim

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

realize that the hatch is made of aluminum, and not really very sturdy in the real world of things (uses the glass for extra strength). If your going to carry your bike all the time I'd have concerns about the durability of the hatch. In that case a hitch mount might be better. my 2 cents.

4. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Bike rack: Allen 103A
    Bike: Trek 7300 Hybrid (yeah, I guess I'm into hybrids) w/ about 6,000 miles on it. My road bike is a Trek 2100ZR with about 200 miles on it so far!

I haven't driven the Prius with that rack on, but I've had it for a long time and used it on a Camry sedan and wagon with no problems. I don't care as deeply about those cars, so I wouldn't give it a second thought with them, but I don't think I'd hesitate to use it on the Prius either, other than Frank's warning about the aluminum. The hooks on the top end are where I'd worry the most, but the rest seems more than stable enough. Big foam pads rest against the spoiler and the license plate, and 1 more hook on the bottom of the hatch.

I bought the rack in a bike shop in Jamaica Plain (Boston).

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the fast response!

Please keep us posted on how the car does with that rack. With bicycle season coming to a close in 2 or 3 months (for me, anway - I'm not into cold weather riding), and with the other $$ I've put into my Prius, I plan to hold off buying a bicycle rack probably until the spring. I had pretty much decided on a Saris Bones until I saw your post. So I might check back with you early next year to see how well it has worked for you.

We're close on the bikes. Mine is a 7200, also a hybrid. And you know, I hadn't made the car-bike "hybrid" connection until you mentioned it. "Delayed Intelligence" strikes again!

Thanks again,

Jim

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does look like the Saris Bones might do a better job of keeping weight on the bumper, whereas mine because of the positioning of pads looks like it relies more on those hooks on the top of the hatch. For longer trips or rougher terrain I guess I'd feel better about a Saris or a hitch-mount.

Hatch access without removing the rack is nice, but the bottom hook can hook underneath the bumper as well if there's any chance of that being a problem. I'd still love to hear if anyone has a similar rack and whether the hooks on the top of the hatch have been a problem or not.

I'm also curious how much of the weight of the bikes on a Saris Bones rack is supported by the top straps vs. the bumper. I'll do a non-scientific test with my rack to see if I think the pull on the top is excessive.