1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bike Racks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by darwin100, Oct 10, 2006.

1. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

I need to get a bike rack to carry at least 2 bikes. I am too small to do a roof mounted rack. does anyone have any experience or suggestions. Money is also a factor I can not afford the $350 one that I found on line.
    thanks

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ Oct 10 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]330563[/snapback]</div>
    There's been some other threads on this, it might be useful to do a search. FWIW, I bought a cheap $40 trunk rack from Target for my wife's Accord, but I fitted it on the Prius and it fits, altho I didn't load it and test-drive it on the Prius. It worked fine on a 100-mile road trip on the Accord.

Couple words of advice - if you have the cheap (a la Walmart or Target) kind of bikes they're really heavy, and you'll need a bike rack that's rated for 3 bikes just to be safe while carrying two. The other thing, the odd-shaped bikes with thick tubes and no top tube (like my seven-year-old son's mountain bike with suspension) can be difficult to fit on, they're designed for the regular bike type, but they can accomodate most different sizes and types.

3. jmpenn

jmpenn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]330563[/snapback]</div>
    I have on of these XSport Bike rack but it is hitch mount. Solid, stable, I can get into the hatch with it on and loaded. Currently on sale for $120. A hitch is $120 from UHaul, which is a Curt hitch.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a Rhode Gear Shuttle that I found at Goodwill for $15 !!! You might check their website, last time I saw them I think they were under $100.00. It seems to be very stable, though the hatch won't open while its installed. Not such a big deal with a 4 door car. I've had 2 bikes on it with no issues.

I just checked Ebay, and they have 3 or 4 Rhode Gear racks like mine in the $10-20 range. Pictures too. Just search Ebay for "Rhode gear shuttle". Good luck.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Coastal Tech hitch $150 (around)
    Yakima KingPin4 $160 shipped

Roughly $300-350. That's what i'm using and i'm quite happy.

Warning: Do not buy Xport racks. I've read too many unsafe and unstable reviews about them... sure they are cheap, but you wouldn't want your bike to fall out, right?

6. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    john1701a suggests a Saris Bones, which is probably what I will be buying next spring unless something more suitable for me comes along. Here is his site:

http://john1701a.com/

I thought he had a "sub-link" in one of the links on his home page directly to a page with pics, but I can't find it now. But click on the "Other Stuff" link and you'll see a link to search the site.

7. LMA

LMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]330563[/snapback]</div>

You can buy any of the Yakima trunk-mounted racks for far less than $350: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?sto...at=REI_SEARCH:N

Thule racks will be similarly priced. The only disadvantage, obviously, is that with a rear-mounted rack, you cannot open the hatch to get anything inside with the rack on. Also, visibility will be reduced, but then we can hardly see out the back of the Prius anyway.

Just as a warning from someone who sells car racks, I would be *extremely* cautious buying any kind of used rack cheaply as suggested by several other people in this thread, for the simple fact that over the years there have been several styles of racks discontinued or recalled for their habit of "ejecting" bikes on the highway, and if you buy someone else's discarded rack, you are more likely to end upwith one of those models.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 11 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]331189[/snapback]</div>
    There are photos on this page and details in the User-Guide.

9. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 11 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]331430[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, John!

Do/did you have links on your home page? Is my eyesite continuing to deteriorate with age??

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Oct 11 2006, 06:59 PM) [snapback]331456[/snapback]</div>
    Within the "Prius Info" section on the left, there is a "Bike Rack" link.

It's a good thing to ask for. So if others refer to something frequently and I failed to provide a link for it, just speak up.

11. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 11 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]331468[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, time to schedule a visit with the optometrist! :)

12. Nda3rdCar

Nda3rdCar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darwin100 @ Oct 10 2006, 07:24 AM) [snapback]330563[/snapback]</div>
    This is a reprint from another bike rack question on the forum.... Hope you find it helpfull. -

I was introduced to the Coastal Hitch by a client that had a 2" receiver on his Prius. I asked about it and he told me all about the hitch. I'm very happy with the purchase and I carefully installed it, put a $1.50 plastic plug in the receiver and it nearly becomes invisible. (U-Haul, 2" receiver plug)

I use a Hollywood brand Team Rider bike rack. Not very light, but designed for 2" receiver and uses a locking section to securely hold the bike rack from clunking around in transit. I carry two bikes without a problem. The design of the Prius rear hatch even allows me to open the rear without tiping the bike rack (something I must do on my VW Golf with a welded/bolted hitch)

The Coastal hitch is a bargan and it worked out great for our Prius.

P.S. Unfortunately, the Team Rider rack is no longer produced by Hollywood Inc. They make a lighter and simpler model now. Good quality racks... I've used mine for 6 years. Do plan to spend a bit of money.... The Coastal hitch is around 180 bucks, a good quality 2-bike rack for 2" receiver can run you from $100 to
    $300. It's worth it for me with a $2400 bike back there.