1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bikerack/Hitch question

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by danbob, Feb 3, 2012.

1. danbob

danbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys,

Do you think that a trailer hitch would do anything to my fuel economy on the car?

Also - Due to the fact that the car has a rear roof spoiler, do you all think that a trunk mounted bike rack would deform the spoiler if it had two bikes on it?

Thanks!

2. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A hitch alone would have a negligible effect on your fuel consumption. It would make the car weigh more, which will reduce your efficiency slightly. It will also change the way the air flows under the car slightly, which could have a negligible impact. I doubt having a hitch on the car would have an effect that would be measurable in the first decimal point.

However, having a bike rack on the car will definitely have an impact as it will disturb the airflow coming off the back of the car, collapsing the partial vacuum that forms behind the car, thereby increasing drag. This impact will likely be measurable. Adding bikes will increase the disturbance and the effects.

As for a trunk mount: most well engineered racks should be able to work around the spoiler. I'm not endorsing this one specifically but it has a good side pic of a bike mount that works well.

Toyota Prius Bike Rack, Toyota Prius Rack Bike, Trunk Mount Bike Rack, Trunk Bike Rack, Thule Bike

3. danbob

danbob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Thanks for the response. Everything you are saying makes perfect sense. I am brand new to the high fuel efficiency game and have dealt mostly with high performance cars my entire driving career. I think we will probably do a hitch eventually because they are fairly inexpensive and bolt directly onto the V. We are avid cyclists so it makes sense to have a more permanent solution than a trunk rack as long as the effects on fuel efficiency are minimal.

4. dmanthree

dmanthree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just installed a Curt hitch, and it weighs 21 pounds. I doubt it will impact mileage. Aerodynamics are *slightly* changed, but it's (obviously) underneath the rear of the car, not the most critical place. Much less of an impact than a roof rack.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Danbob if I may offer my $.02. I would personally mount a hitch and take bikes that way. I was in an accident at the young age of 16 when a family's trunk mount let go and caused a pileup from everyone trying to avoid the bikes. I saw it a second time a few years back but wasn't involved. Hitch racks are more secure from a safety perspective and for property security. I am sure in my instances it was likely more user than the product but one little girl lost her mom that day and I cringe when I see those racks going 70+mph down the freeway. I use a hitch rack but haven't tackled the v yet. W