1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill and Bob's Excellent Adventure

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Aug 5, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Parked in the shade at Burger King, Bob was silently reading the Wall Street Journal when Bill, @RoadNoise, arrived in his new 2016 Prius ECO. Since Bob already knew how to drive a Prius, we did a walk-around the BMW i3-REx and Bill took the driver seat.

Bill soon learned the 'single pedal' operation that allows the car to drive without touching the brakes. Let off on the accelerator and it is like braking. So we did one small loop, 1.1 miles, just to map it out. We did a max acceleration followed by letting off and soon back to normal. Then we drove to the second, larger loop, and on to the shopping center with two free chargers. The chargers were both occupied so we headed over to the Interstate for cruise control and high-speed cruise. The adaptive cruise control adjusts the speed to match the car in front.

Exiting the Interstate, we drove to Whole Foods and put the car on a charger for lunch. Bob set the climate control so when we returned the cabin was nice and cool. Sad to say, a gasser had parked in the other charger spot and I speculated that the tires were too full. Then the driver showed up and the cloud of noxious fumes confirmed the gasser was already its own worst reward.

We drove back to Burger King and Bob returned to work.

Bob Wilson

RoadNoise and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    who bought lunch?:p

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I proposed going to Whole Foods for lunch after the highway run, Bill, @RoadNoise, told me one of his co-workers had said there are many easy-on-the-eyes lady customers. We briefly discussed 'window shopping', a long-time married man's hobby. I didn't mention to Bill but I had noticed the customers before but more as a zoologist might think 'what a curious collection of primates ... do I look like them?'

Bill bought lunch, picking up my espresso, all I wanted. While eating and chatting, he noticed a problem with the receipt. I get my espresso in their ceramic cup to avoid the cardboard cup flavor. Sad to say, the espresso machine register was down and instead of discounting $0.50, the front register charged $0.50. So we visited the service desk.

Yes, Whole Foods can be expensive BUT if there is a problem, their service desk is excellent. The manager recognized me and asked why I was back since I'd eaten breakfast there several hours earlier. So Bill and I gave her a brief run down of our adventure. Then I pointed out their Level 2 charger has at least 30A, a strong charger.

The manager mentioned needing a car like mine but 'they are so expensive.' Bill and I pointed out used hybrids and EVs are very affordable. 'I paid $29.9k for my BMW i3-REx with 6,400 miles and 2 years 11 months of warranty.' She was still curious but lunch time is pretty busy. I volunteered next time to cover more details and even offered to give a brief talk someday.

Bill checked the GE charger, 3.8 kWh, which I pointed out was $0.38 and at ~4 miles / kWh, about 12-16 miles. He unplugged and put the J1772 back.

When we got back in the car, it was nice and cool as I'd left it in 'Climate Control' mode ... left the AC running. Sad to say, the SOC was about half of what I'd expected, no free lunch except for my now discounted espresso. Well it was one of five, 'free' chargers.

Bob Wilson

#3 bwilson4web, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    she must have been an attractive primate.:cool:

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The only thing I notice is the smile.

Bob Wilson

6. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well, Bob beat me to the punch. I was going to start the "Bob let me drive his BMW i3-REx and it was amazing" thread, but instead will offer my observations here.

It wasn't like there would be any difficulty finding each other in the BK parking lot. Me in a new Prius (I've only seen two others in the wild and it could have been one and the same) and Bob in his distinctive plug-in (the only one I've ever seen in person although I did see a commercial for the BMW plug-in during the Olympics, that very night. Very strange.).

So, what was my verdict? A dozen miles in any vehicle will not tell the full story, but it was a very unique experience to say the least. The first non-conformist trait noticed was the aggressive regenerative braking. Let go of the "go" pedal and hold onto your hat. Lets just say I'm glad I didn't have hot coffee in my lap. The brake pedal in the vehicle is redundant as one could go months without needing it at all. If I were to sling my coffee forward during a stop, a swift acceleration would have deposited said hot coffee in my nether region and worse. Talk about torque! There was an odd disconnect being subjected to that many Gs without the roar of a petrol engine in my ear, but one I could get used to after driving the Prius for a few months now. The dynamic cruise control was an interesting experience but fear I would become lackadaisical and inattentive if my Prius were so equipped.

Overall a very pleasant meeting of man and machine! The real surprise was that Bob would let a perfect stranger he met on the internet drive his $30k car.;)

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bob's like that.:) my business partner, who is a 70 y.o. marine and democrat, would give you the shirt off of his back. don't cross him though.;)

#7 bisco, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought we're supposed to be hearing if Prius 2 eco really gets +4 MPG over the 2 and 3 and why

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm hoping Bill will eventually get a chance to test but that day with temperatures 90F and higher, it was not even close to a standard day. However, we do have validated data already:
    [​IMG]
    Doing laps at that temperature with the AC on would not have been a lot of fun.

Bob Wilson

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One late thought, I had to assemble my own tire kit that I showed Bill:
    • 12V air pump (Harbor Freight, $30 version)
    • tire patch kit, not goop
    • LED flashlight
    • Leatherman tool (not shown, normally in the glove box)
    I'm OK with not having a spare (sort of) but I dang sure don't want to 'goop' the tire pressure sensor.

When we finished with the BMW, we'd taken an hour and half ... about half an hour longer than I'd planned. I enjoyed driving around but also realized Bill and I probably need to have another 'Prius lunch.' But I'd recommend waiting until we get some moderate temperatures instead of dealing with the Alabama summer heat.

Bob Wilson

#10 bwilson4web, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  11. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Just a few things to add to my previous post. As for the regen braking, it only took 2 stops for me to fully adjust to OPD (one pedal driving). Very intuitive and easy to feather into a smooth stop. The rigid carbon core and perfect center of gravity made it handle like a champ. Driver sits higher than the Prius and I found the seats to be better than average (but the sample size was too small to be fair). The real wood veneer on the dash was a classy touch. Oh, did I mention the torque? Needs a bath, though :LOL:.

When the weather moderates I plan to run Bob's test track.

wjtracy and bwilson4web like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree on the spare tyre. i keep a donut in the hatch, if nothing else, it's comforting.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Late lunch ... actually breakfast/lunch after work ... I picked up the BMW with the new receiver hitch. Amanda, the Whole Foods manager was there and 'helped' carry my groceries to the car. We did a quick walk around and she unplugged the car. Then I had her get in the driver seat and we drove around to the front where she hopped out ... all smiles.

Regardless of your ride, when someone shows an interest, show it off. Let them sit in the car and look around. If time permits, a quick ride. We are the best ones to let folks know how great our cars are.

Bob Wilson