1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill Ford on the future of hybrids, plugins, and EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, May 31, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bill Ford gets it. He talks about how China is spending billions to prepare their society for and transition to electric vehicles to ensure future energy independence, yet the U.S. doesn't seem to be preparing for the future and this needs to change. He says if we aren't dependent upon foreign oil, we'll be dependent upon foreign batteries and charging stations. This is an excellent read:

Bill Ford looks ahead - Fortune Management

I'm glad to see the U.S. Govt has increased the CAFE requirements, but this needs to be just a start. Americans donated billions of pounds of metal during WWII, but they don't seem to care about choosing small cars over SUVs to end energy DEPENDENCE.

1 person likes this.
  2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great read. However, I'm pessimistic. Majority of US consumers don't really know or care. So, US automakers, Congress, state and local lawmakers etc have no incentives.

3. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't doubt that Bill gets it and I think Toyota gets it and some of the other mfrs. are "getting it". But I will not truly believe this commitment until they all simply stop building big ugly gas guzzling SUVs and mini-vans.

I have nothing against trucks but I think they should be commercial only or even offer a limited use tag and insurance system for those of us who need to ocassionally haul things. There is no point in driving an F-250 as a daily driver, its ridiculous.

Again...show your commitment, make your fleet all hybrid/electric and eliminate sub 20mpg vechicles.

4. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Dangerous talk..... why stop there? Why not force everyone to ride a bike and use public transportation? Need a car, you need to RENT one. You don't drive it while you sleep (or do anything outside the car) anyways. :D

Outlaw owning a car will end this talk about waste. We need to educate, not forcing others what you don't like.

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Consumers drive the market. Bill Ford may really, really want to axe SUVs, but when Ford calculates the numbers, they may find that if they discontinued SUVs tomorrow morning, the company may not be profitable and therefore not survive. Ten years ago, compact cars had very few options and very little profit. Today, automakers have made a shift and there are a lot more options and profit in compact cars (Ford Focus, for example, has blue tooth, power windows, doors, mirrors, everything .. all stuff that added profit to SUVs several years ago). Automakers have added all the stuff that fattens profit margins on small cars for the buyers that want the luxuries. You want leather on your Ford Focus? You can have it! (ten years ago, if you asked for leather on an "econobox," as they called them back then, they would have had to get an aftermarket company to do it).

With gasoline prices the way they are right now, I can't imagine full-size SUV sales (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, Tundra, etc) are all that impressive this month. If the shift away from full-size SUVs continues, automakers will eventually find full-size SUVs non-feasable and discontinue them. You will then start seeing more special editions of midsize cars, such as Ford's famous "Eddie Bower" Expeditions that had $20K markups.

So, how are those full-size SUV sale numbers this month?

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Waste of money. Just remove subsidies and include externality costs through taxation.

Actual subsidies that encourage oil consumption are so widespread it is hard to keep track of them all, and the generosity is national malfeasance. E.g., I am reimbursed 51 cents *a mile* for business use of my personal car. Fuel has to cost $10/gallon before a 20 mpg car's petrol consumption is not covered by the business expense subsidy. Even when the consumer may only apply the 51 cents/mile as a tax deduction, a 28% marginal tax bracket pays all of $2.8/gallon fuel.

So ...
    Out of pocket fuel costs: heavily subsidized
    Pollution costs: dumped on future generations
    Military costs: Hidden
    Oil industry subsidy: Hidden

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The caught my eye, from the OP's post:
    Actually, he must be talking about FORD's future EV's ... because the competition already has those features. Still, Fored at least realizes that the "not enough range - not quick enough charging" crowd must not control Ford's goals.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most consumers don't give a crap about any of this, they act first and last with their dollars. Small car sales up are big right now because people are being forced to. Money is the only thing that will make them change, that or legislation forcing their hand. Education means nothing. And psychologically that is valid, it makes little sense to put oneself out in an uncomfortable way or perceived discomfort if their single act makes ultimately no difference unless a critical mass of people do the same (tragedy of the commons).
    Most exciting part of article. I am absolutely giddy, I tell you, about more capable accident avoidance and/or automation in our automobiles. I am sure within my life time it will make how we drive today honest to goodness barbarian in comparison.

Great article and to me doesn't read like a "this is the future" nonsense from 1950 that doesn't come to fruition. This can and is based on already existing technology.