1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bill O'reilly says there are no viable hybrids.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by upland_bill, Jun 1, 2006.

1. upland_bill

upland_bill New Member

Just heard him claim this on his radio "show". Said that the mileage in hybrids "isn't that great", and they are dangerous because they don't have enough power. Also, feels that his 5 year old Chevy (he didn't mention the model because he only deals in "facts") get decent enough gas mileage. He didn't say what that mileage was, either. I doubt it's a Geo, I would venture that any 5 year old Chevy he has is getting in the low 20's at best. How does this stooge stay on TV & Radio? Meanwhile, he said the alternative is ethanol and that you should be considerate when you buy your next car, "your country has been good to you, be good to your country".

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Anyone that generalizes by just lumping all types & configurations of hybrids into a single category is either poorly informed or is attempting to mislead.

And since this is someone that is supposed to have researched the topic well...

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 1 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]264097[/snapback]</div>
    Have not listened or watched Crazy Bill in quite some time as I felt then that he was losing his mind !!!!
    Now maybe those on this forum who drink his cool aid will have some 2nd thought about the claims he makes.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fox News as a whole has become uncredible. I finally removed it from my channel lineup as it really has no value as a news source.

Nate

5. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(upland_bill @ Jun 1 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]264097[/snapback]</div>
    There must be enough stooges in the US to provide him an audience.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Jun 1 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]264107[/snapback]</div>
    If Bill O'Reilly only opened his mouth when he knew what he was talking about, every show would end immediately after he says, "I'm Bill O'Reilly and this is the Factor!"

www.sweetjesusihatebilloreilly.com

6. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart: The ying and yang of TV news! Laugh at one and with the other.

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadHungarian @ Jun 1 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]264128[/snapback]</div>
    Differences:

1. One openly proclaims that he is presenting the "fake news"; the other makes up stuff and attempts to pass it off as real news.
    2. One, although liberal, makes fun of anyone regardless of political persuasion; the other, supposedly "fair and balanced", is anything but.
    3. One is funny, the other is a joke!

8. eanda9000

eanda9000 New Member

how the mighty have fallen in my eyes....

i heard the show, and missed a breath when i heard him say this as I was getting 46 mph in my prius. there was a very strong american car bias to the broadcast. i wonder what following the money, in this case sponsership, would yield. hybrid technology is mostly japanese right now. the other alternatives he mentioned are more the direction of US makers. i know that ford has a hybrid, but they just have one and it is not selling all that great? is that his angle. otherwise, i have to assume he is just an un informed idiot?

in particular he thinks that hybrids don't have enough power to get you on the freeway. what? which hybrid these days is that underpowered. shoot, half of them are power increase to existing models it seems. that statement is just wrong.

his judgement was so wrong in this case that i now completely question his show and his motivations. how could he say that hybrids are not the solutions and on the same show say that if all americans got 26mpg we would have fixed the problem. he is either very misinformed or pushing some sort of agenda. i used to like the show but will not not listen to it as this is COMPLETE misinformation and a disservice to his listners and our nation. bill is now on my list of losers.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We are down to 37 mpg driving up and down a mountain without any freeway mileage. That being said I don't think his 5 year old Chevy would get the same mileage.

10. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

I have heard pretty much the same exact line from Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh. Hannity was almost giddy one night reading from a completely bogus and biased anti-hybrid article in the Wall Street Journal (some of you may remeber this article from a few months back, which among other things proposed that if Americans wanted to save gas, we should all buy Hummers :blink: ). He liked the article so much he spent about 15 minutes reading innane quotes form it, and then closed out the segment by encouraging all his listeners to subscribe to the WSJ because of this "great" article.

If you listen to these guys enough, it is pretty easy to detect that they are incredibly biased, disingenuous, and just plain stupid.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think Jon Stewart is a liberal. He rips apart the Left as much as the Right-Wing Crazies.

Right-Wingers are convinced that he's liberal because he's not a Bush Supporter.

Jon Stewart seems to be the voice of reason.

Nate

12. simple_in_seattle

simple_in_seattle New Member

I consider myself to be a free thinker and can go either way on any specific issue. O'reilly is nothing more than an entertainer who solicits emotional responses from his audience by pushing buttons. If he is making "hasty generalizations", its only part of his his normal schtick.

He is no more "fair and balanced" than Micheal Moore...aka another jackass.

13. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 1 2006, 12:11 PM) [snapback]264157[/snapback]</div>
    The problem is that people don't understand the definition of "liberal."

"1) Open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values; 2) favorable or respectful of individual rights and freedoms; 3) in a political context, favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform."

Nowhere in the definition of liberal is there anything about support of an individual candidate or party. A liberal is generally the opposite of a conservative, no matter what political party.

14. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Oh, no. Micheal Moore is a god! He's got the balls to put out the info on the big screen that no one else seems to question...

Jon Stewert just plain rocks. He's yet another hero of mine in these, shall I say, ignorant, fake, wannabe hero times.

Cheers,

Curt.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Auricchio @ Jun 1 2006, 04:19 PM) [snapback]264202[/snapback]</div>
    You are absolutely correct. There are conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. I think we can assume, though, that if you make a Venn diagram of "liberals" and "Bush supporters", the intersection will be approximately zero.
    If you read some of the posts on PC lately (from people who shall remain nameless), the definition of liberal is "traitor" or "terrorist" (something they heard on Bill O'Reilly, perhaps.)
    As far as Jon Stewart is concerned, from remarks I've heard him make and things that he has said in interviews, my impression is that he is left of center. But on his show, he rips apart the left and right equally.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jun 1 2006, 04:21 PM) [snapback]264205[/snapback]</div>
    One more thing, folks- "Michael" is spelled M-I-C-H-A-E-L! (pet peeve of mine) :)

16. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I read the title of this post, and the first thought that came to my mind was, "Who the [censored] cares what Bill O'Reilly says?"

17. benighted

benighted New Member

18. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Jun 1 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]264205[/snapback]</div>
    There is only one God... That Moore fellow, is not a God (at best, Satan).... please see the God threads in the Pancake forum... :lol:

19. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Jun 1 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]264225[/snapback]</div>
    That is just too funny!

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Haha.. Bill O'Reilly.. that guy is funny. He ranks right up there with TV personalities I don't like... right next to Nancy Grace. They have an equation tatooed on their forearm: My Opninion = FACT. Thank God for the CBC :)