1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BioPerformance additive

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by figmentor, Mar 7, 2006.

1. figmentor

figmentor New Member

Have any of you tried BioPerformance gas additive tablets? Manufacturer claims an average of 18-22% fuel savings and has amazing testimonies of up to 35% or more with optimal driving conditions. I just put in my first tablet but wondered if anybody had any feedback on this product.

2. slortz

slortz New Member

Looks like you are the only one.
    Let us know how it works out.
    At first glance, it looks like a scam to me. Hope it works for you, or at least doesn't damage your car.
    Good luck. :)

3. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have yet to see any additive, performance chip that claim such a great fuel savings EVER do anything but empty your wallet. Which it appears that it does a good job of that.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With the summer driving season underway, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation’s consumer protection agency, wants consumers to question claims that automotive devices will “boost your mileage by an extra 6 miles per gallon,†“ improve your fuel economy up to 26 percent,†or the like.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has tested over 100 supposed gas-saving devices - including mixture "enhancers" and fuel line magnets - and found that very few provided any fuel economy benefits. Those devices that did work provided only marginal improvements. In fact, some “gas-saving†products even may damage a car’s engine or cause substantial increases in exhaust emissions. For a full list of tested products, check www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer.htm.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/gasalrt.htm

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK I'm not a math major here, please correct me if my math is wrong.

You live in Lansing, I live in Grand Rapids. So similar climates.

I'm getting around 40MPG right now.
    80 pills are $75.
    So $.94 /pill
    2 pills for a 9 gallon fill up. = $1.88.
    20% increase is 48 MPG.
    8 extra MPG * 9 gallons = 72 miles extra a tank
    So you are basiclly getting 1.5 gallons extra per tank.
    1.5 * $2.50/gallon = $3.75 saved/per tank
    $3.75-$1.88 = $1.87 saved per tank.

Doesn't seem that amazing to me to bet $75 on maybe possibly saving $1.87 a tank.

6. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not to keep ragging on you but...

Testimonials mean nothing. 1/2 of the site I saw talked about the product and the other 1/2 talked about how you can become part of the super cool gas saving tablet family and make a million dollars. Are any of those testimonials from someone who is not an agent of the company? How about some hard data instead of "testionials". We had an idependent/impartial company test these 2 identical cars in these identical driving conditions and saw these results. THEN tested it on several different models.

I mean if this magic substance existed and worked why wouldn't some oil company buy this tiny little company add it to their gas and clean house over every other oil compnay? If Shell gas got you 18-22% more MPG over Chevron's gas, they would take over. It would be foolish not to right? I'm not a buisnessman either, but....

7. SteveT

SteveT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like a bunch of marketing and sham science to me. If it really is so great, send some to consumer reports, car magazines, newpapers and universities. If it works, we will all be scrambling to buy the stuff. A bunch of flashy websites don't convince me. Especially when they spend more time telling us how we can make money than they do providing proof that the product actually works.

If it works, prove it. If it doesn't, keep selling the hype.

I've been in and around cars for a long time. I have seen a lot of claims for performance and economy improvements. I have not seen ANY of them actually work.

Please let us know how your test works out. But if you then try and sell me the "miracle cure" I will no longer believe your claims.

No offense intended, just healthy skepticism.

Best regards,
    Steve T