1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bird Crap and the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusTouring07, Jul 21, 2007.

1. PriusTouring07

PriusTouring07 New Member

Whenever I take a trip outside the city with any other car, my windshield is covered with bird crap. I just did over 1500 miles in a few days and there wasn't even one tiny piece of bird crap on the Prius windshield. Is it the aerodynamics of the car or have I been just extremely lucky? What's your experience?

2. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have noticed that my 2000 Infiniti seems to attract bird poop, whereas my husband's Prius remains poop-free. Of course, our Prius is only 2 weeks new to us, so I can't be sure of anything yet.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The windshield's not so critical, but get that shtuff off your paint before it eats right through. And don't just wipe - bird poop can be abrasive as well as acidic.

4. Dr Ed

Dr Ed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 21 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]482828[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on where you park. Whenever I park under a tree I get deluged with bird poop.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jul 21 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]482847[/snapback]</div>
    The best thing to do is keep a pump sprayer full of water in your car. That way you can spray off the bird crap as quickly as possible. The darker the car's color, the worse the bird crap etches the finish. The worst color for risk of etching is black. This comes from personal experience on my last 4 cars (they were all black; my absolute worst experience was a 2002 Volvo S60 AWD - that car had to have every panel repainted except for the roof and the trunk from bird crap etching). If you can spray off the bird crap before it has a chance to "set", then you can avoid the etching action.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusTouring07 @ Jul 21 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]482828[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on where you park. The worst parking spot was under a power line that was the migrating potty stop for one zillion birds. When I came out of the Bennigans, I wondered what the constant raining sound was. No further details are going to be provided. Look above before parking.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

middle of the parking lot< no door dings >and came out to find 18 hit's, non smaller than a base ball. What in hell did I do to deserve that??? Time for the poor and homeless to eat sea gull stew. Oh ya protected species. Although I've run over a few in 30 plus years of costal driving. Most by accident.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This morning, whilst driving through town, a crow TRIED to use the "bubble of air" coming off my hood to gain lift.

Apparently, there isn't a bubble of air, due to the aerodynamics.

With much awkward flapping, the bird managed to gain enough altitude to avoid my windshield.

Conclusion: Birds have learned that moving vehicles will provide a free lift, and take advantage, resulting in poo occasionally. The Prius doesn't, so there are much fewer birds doing the lift-dance over the hood, so there is less poo.

This is really funny, that your question and this situation happened on the same day! :D

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 21 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]482989[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. I am a much more strategic parker than I used to be. In the city, never park by an overhanging structure. The pigeons are just waiting to use your Prius for target practice.