1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Bird on the Roof" Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Acre, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One to two minutes after shutting off my 2010 Prius I hear what I assumed for months was a bird landing on the roof and slipping a bit until it occured to me that this couldn't possibly be happening every time I parked (yeah, I'm a bit slow at times).
    What is this sound?

2. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Assuming you're not on medical marijuana and not just hearing things (just kidding - I saw you were from CA!) this is an interesting noise.

Are you sure it's from the roof? Consider having someone stand outside the car and listen when you shut it down to assess/confirm the source of the sound.

Another suggestion. Try turning off the indoor fan before you shut down the car. I'm thinking you could have a leaf/debris hitting the A/C (cold air) fan blade or maybe a fan bearing problem.

In any event please lets us know what you find. And good luck with the problem solving.

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are you sure it's two minutes? That's an eternity to be in the car after you shutdown. The vast majority of folks on this site will be out of the car and too far away to notice anything after two minutes. Might want to time it exactly one time to have us help figure it out.

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What i believe is the brake fluid pump continues to make weird noises for a long time after you shut down, especially if you touch the brake pedal at all.

5. Acre

Acre New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sometimes spend some time in the car when I get home gathering up things. It could be less than 2 minutes. Sometimes if I'm listening to something engaging on the radio I will wait a bit before exiting the car.
    I heard the noise last week while standing about 15 feet from the car after just getting out. From the outside it also appears to be coming from the top of the car. Thunk-patter-patter-patter. Exactly the sound a bird makes when landing on your car. I will try turning off the fan before shutting off the motor to see if this makes any difference.

6. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Interesting noise. Please let us know what you find out.