1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bird Pooh

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stocky, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Stocky

Stocky New Member

At work, I park my car between two trees in a reserved slot that is not easily changeable. The trees are silver birch and there is not one redeeming feature about them. It does not matter what season of the year it is - something is ALWAYS falling (seeds, gum, leaves etc).

Right now it is BIRDS. They sit in the branches right above the roof and hatch of my 4 day old car, gorge themselves on seeds, then leave their (not so) little droppings!!!

This is not a pretty sight, especially when they launch from about 4 metres away, so …

Apart from washing the car every night, electrifying the trees or camping out with a shotgun - can anybody suggest anything that would help?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Get a car cover or just park elsewhere.

Bird shit is very acidic, and despite frequent waxing, will eat through your paint.

I like to park in shade, but between sap and birds, it's not worth the damage to the paint. I'll get sunshades instead.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Never mind the bird s***, if the Birch trees in NZ are like the Birch trees here, that sap will completely ruin the paint.

While renovating part of the old barn two years ago, I made the mistake of parking my old Ford F-150 under a nice leafy Birch to keep it out of the August sun. It was only for a week.

I never even noticed the sap until several weeks later. By then it was like Crazy Glue and *nothing* would take it off: Turpentine, Varsol, Gasoline, Isopropyl Alcohol, nothing.

I ended up using a razor to scrape that sap off. The paint under the sap was etched and ruined.

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

I sympathize with your plight. Unfortunately electrifying the trees is not feasible (too much paperwork), and shooting the birds would cause you to have to deal with all the mess that would invoke so... car cover is the only way to go.

I just did a quick search on ebay and found a bunch of them for the '04 - '05 Prius ranging in price from $22 US to $119 US at buy it now. I don't know if you folks have stores comparable to CostCo (a membership warehouse store,) but if you do, they sell a very nice waterproof, breathable car cover for about $30 US.

It will be a pain to have to take it off or put it on but it is a small price to pay to prevent bird schrapnel. Of course, if you go the car cover route you need to get a car duster and dust off the car before you put the cover on so that you don't trap any bits of grit that can scratch your surface.

Are you getting the feeling that you just can't win this one? Unfortunately, until I can figure out how to drive my car with a secure, portable garage protecting her, I am in the same boat. I just resort to frequent washing, monthly waxing, carrying a bottle of a non-toxic, paint & people friendly cleaner and a soft cloth in the car with me whereever I go.

As I am a confirmed slob, my friends and family are astounded by this new-found trait. I also carry baby wipes (the pre-moistened towelettes) so that If I need to clean a person before they get into my beloved I can. I have my best friends two kids take a quick wipe off before they climb in.

Paranoid? Yes, protective of my car? You bet! Embarrassed by my actions? Nope, not at all. I was even out during a rain storm with spray cleaner removing bugs from my grill after a cross states drive.

Does my hubby think I have lost my mind? No, he just treats these latest acts as a confirmation of his suspicions. Besides, he got the car for me as a Valentines gift so the better I care for my car the more he sees that I love him.

I myself will be getting the CostCo cover as soon as they come back in stock in my local store.

Take care,

Tisza

5. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Hehe - you crack me up!!!!!!

Yes, a car cover would do the trick, but when I throw it over the car in the mornings, my staff would walk past saying "There he is putting his new baby to sleep for the day - wanker" - LOL.

But this is a more generic question I guess. It really applies to all of us no matter where the car is parked or what make it is. Everyone wants to keep their car looking nice, especially in the early stages before you become blasé about it.

Some years ago, I found a product that was easily applied to a car in the form of a thin liquid film.

It was the most amazing stuff, the liquid was extremely hard when dry, filled in tiny scratches which gave the car the most incredible mirror like finish. It was almost like coating the car with a ceramic and water beaded for several months.

I have never seen anything like it since and have long since forgotten its name, I wonder if anyone knows of it or a similar product?

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI to get sap off the car do not use a razor. I forget what it is called but it is like a clay bar. I had this for my F250 and it worked like a charm. I would spray a lubricant (not oily looked like water to me but it was not) then rub the sap with this clar bar. It rubbed the sap right off and had the paint nice and smooth again. :)

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I tried gasoline and even turp to no effect. It's a 1984 Ford F-150 and needs a paintjob anyway, but it still made me mad.