1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bisque fabric interior...and a black lab

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bloomerific, Apr 17, 2007.

1. bloomerific

bloomerific New Member

To those of you with the bisque fabric interior...

I have a black lab who shed just a tiny bit. Ha ha ha.

It's already obvious that maybe the bisque interior wasn't the smartest choice but since I needed a car quick when I bought my car 2 weeks ago, I bought it off the lot without asking many questions (I knew what I was looking for, but the interior color wasn't an issue).

Now I'm seeing...literally...what I'm faced with!

I had it Scotchgarded by the dealer (it was a point of bargaining), which makes muddy paw prints disappear pretty quickly...but what about black dog hair? Does anyone do anything special other than throwing sheets down and/or using a lint brush?

Just lookin' for ideas.

Thanks!

2. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I feel your pain. My previous car had a bisque-ish fabric interior and I had a black Lab mix at the time. I kept a seat cover on at all times, but some of his hair was still woven in to the fabric when I sold the car. No amount of vacuuming, brushing, tape, etc. could remove it. Duct tape was probably the best tool I found though.

Now I have a multi-colored (mostly white) dog and the gray interior, but in leather, so the dog hair just vacuums right up. I love it! Now I just need tear-offs on the inside of the back windows to get rid of all the nose prints. :D

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you could dye your dog into a "yellow lab" LOL :eek:

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the double post

5. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Apr 18 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]425347[/snapback]</div>

Just don't do anything and eventually the interior will become a grayish tan. Equilibrium is wonderful! :p

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Keep the seats folded down and slap a carpet remnant on the surface.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Several months ago I bought a complete set of Exact Fit seat covers. I installed the front but never the rear. I have rear seat passengers infrequently, and none are of the four-legged variety. In retrospect, I should have just bought the fronts. So I'll offer the rear for sale to you (or any other interested party) for $20 plus shipping.

They can be washed, but frankly, not having installed them, I don't know how easy they are to remove and re-install. Here's the thread where I first found out about them, along with my experience (and others') with an installation issue on the front.

8. bloomerific

bloomerific New Member

I really like the idea of equilibrium. And painting my dog yellow. And even carpet remnants covering my downed seats. Perhaps I'll keep Harper in a bubble while we drive...that might be more economical.

I can run with the best of them, FYI. I may be a newbie here but that's about all! ;)

I've thought about leather covers, but I've read elsewhere around here that it's not worth it...but I'm thinking just for my own sanity I might. We'll see.

Thanks anyway, everyone!

(and I'll think about buying your rear covers...but then I'll have nothing for the front...)

9. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 18 2007, 02:29 PM) [snapback]425593[/snapback]</div>
    If you decide you really do want the front seat as well, I'd think your best bet would be to invest in a complete set of covers, either new or secondhand if you can find any decent ones. You have my sympathies - my mom had a string of German Shedders that left enough dog hair on her backseat to cover NYC (or so it seemed). When I got my first car my parents and I agreed that it would be "Shepard Free Zone" (except in emergencies of course). :)

10. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 18 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]425558[/snapback]</div>
    I bought the Exact Fit front set, rear set (two mats, not the one big one) and the cargo mat. They are great! Very high quality. I'd recommend getting the whole shebang like I did. Was about $120 with shipping. A lot cheaper than buying new dealer Prius carpets!

Dave

11. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 18 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]425593[/snapback]</div>
    But you don't let the lab ride in the front, do you? :)

12. nelda

nelda New Member

Hey Jimbo - you didn't say what color your seat covers are. I purchased a front set only of tan/beige, and might be interested in back seat covers to match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Apr 18 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]425558[/snapback]</div>

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I only have front seat covers. GT covers.

Ramses sits in the passenger seat.

On rare occasions his girlfriend (black/yellow lab mix) and him have ridden in the back while I played chaffeur. I don't own a lint brush. I tape back a large roll of packing tape but duct tape will do as well.

Ramses would look awful dyed blond. And he doesn't have the temperment for it either.

14. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Nelda @ Apr 18 2007, 10:09 PM) [snapback]425735[/snapback]</div>
    I received and replied to your PM, FYI.

15. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 17 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]424982[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Golden retriever and he sheds more then just a tiny bit, anyway I have always used a regular dog brush and brushed the seat with it, I use the ones that also have the thick soft plastic bristles on the back side, I wouldn't recommend using the metal side. You could also probably try using a similar type of hairbrush but the bristles are usually more flimsy.

16. bloomerific

bloomerific New Member

Thanks for all of your responses...I'm going to try everything! :)

And I'll probably end up getting covers anyway. Next time I'm ordering the car and getting leather! :)

17. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 17 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]424982[/snapback]</div>
    Hi -

I have two (often three) weimeraners in my Prius, and have Bisque leather. I love the leather because it cleans so easily. You may want to consider purchasing the leather seat covers for the Prius. They have some pretty good deals on ebay, and it would save you alot of headaches...

18. Enoyls

Enoyls New Member

Oh boy, Iv'e been loving my Prius so much i forgot about the shed factor. I have a Chocolate Lab (Cassie) and she's gonna muck up the back something fierce me thinks ;) Time to get the Scotchguard out and buy some covers!!

19. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sallywny @ Apr 17 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]424982[/snapback]</div>

I have a simialar problem with a rottweiler. I've given him strict orders not to shed in the car. I'll let you know how that works out. :D