1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Biting the bullet and buying my first Prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by lmsoriginals, May 3, 2008.

1. lmsoriginals

lmsoriginals New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've made the decision - I AM buying a Prius! Now, I am really undecided about which way to go. There are 2 dealerships (that I like and trust - others that I won't go near) within an hour's drive of me. Neither have any new Prius available and I would have to go on a waiting list for 1 to 3 months wait. One of the dealerships has a used 2007 Prius just turned in yesterday (everything but the leather seats - that I didn't want anyway) and the salesman I am working with told me about it before it ever hit the dealership. It's red (UGHHH- hate red, but...) has 26000 miles and is suppose to be in excellant condition. They have offered me a great warranty. Now, the price is only about $3000 less than ordering a new one with same equipment. Of couse, now that I made the decision, I want it yesterday! I did put a $100 deposit on it just so it will not be snapped up before I get there on Monday. I welcome any and all opinions about purchaseing a used as opposed to new under these conditions.

I am soooo excited to be getting my Prius. I've wanted one since they came out but my DH was ill and needed a motorized wheelchair to get around and I needed a car that I could carry it it - purchased a 2007 Rav 4 and it's been great. But, now that he doesn't need that wheelchair anymore (YEA) I can finally get my long awaited Prius.

Linda

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Linda, read through CarBuyingTips.com new car buying guide, avoiding dealer scams, new cars, used car buying and see what kbb & edmunds say is the going price for the car. There may not be much room to haggle as there are probably a couple of buyers already lined up behind you. Some owners have "settled" for a different color or option package but I believe eventually everyone grows to love their car. Don't pay extra for the warranty. Make sure you get 2 key fobs. Ask the service dept for a maintenance history.

Enjoy.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Linda, welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:

Getting a Prius isn't exactly biting the bullet. If the only Prius available was the red one, that might be nibbling the bullet...

If you hate red, the used red one is a poor choice for you. 26K miles in a year is sort of high, though the car is very well made and if regular maintenance was performed it should be in good shape. You can still get the extended Toyota warranty if you want. $3000 off new isn't much of a discount. KBB.com says the car is worth about $23,150 in Hartford at retail. If you can get it for about $20K it's fairly priced.

The problem you've run into is that skyrocketing gas prices have driven up demand just as Toyota has begun to retool for the 2009 model. No big changes expected, but there will be a few differences so they have to change the production line.

If you can control your eagerness, I'd say put your money down on a new car in the color you want with exactly the option package you want and spend the next few months reading PriusChat. But that's easy for me to say, we have two of them... ;)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of buying a prius as more like biting into the finest creme brulee' of your life than biting a bullet...it's hard to imagine the pleasure and enjoyment that you'll get out of it over time. 4 1/2 years & 74000 miles in mine and I enjoy the drive every day.

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Welcome to the forum, Linda. Sounds like a great deal for an '07. Let us know on Monday...