1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bizzare aerodynamic whistling noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't been here in a while, mostly because the Prius has been working as expected, that's perfectly.

I was recently on a 3250 mile 9-day trip with many hours of idling and many hours of 75 mph driving in the gravel roads and highways of the 5 F Iowa winter. That ended up in 38.3 mpg in case you were curious.

During that trip a whistling "half-closed-window-like" noise suddenly came from the front left side of the car. The noise is there even at 25mph though it get louder with speed though not in a linear way.

Lowering the window only increases the continuous whistling noise, presumably because it's coming from outside, which for someone with good hearing is annoying. My guess is that the noise is a result of some tiny change in the aerodynamic shape coming from the front left mirror.

Tonight I will find a secluded area to drive in and close the mirror inward to hear for any changes. Does anyone have any info or ideas on where this is coming from?

Thanks,
    Yiannis

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds very much as though the plastic film covers for the outside rear view mirror screws are coming loose. Look at the bottom surface of your outside mirrors. Remove the plastic and the noise should vanish. I gather that a few people have replaced them with tape, etc. but as the mirrors are aerodynamic enough to be quiet without them IMHO they're not needed for that purpose (but perhaps they are really there to reduce corrosion of the screws, which don't appear to be stainless).

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, that helped, the plastic was half torn by something. When I removed it the noise disappeared.:)