1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black 06 for $1,500 less than MSRP

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Elf, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Elf

Elf New Member

I am the proud new owner of a Black 2006 Southeastern "Package 8". This is a description of my purchase path that ended up getting me into a coveted 2006 for less than MSRP.

Wanting to take advantage of the 2006 tax credit on the Prius, I wanted to be sure that I took ownership in 2006. on 12/31/05, I started checking out posted Prius inventories at all the dealerships in Atlanta. I wanted Package 7 with leather (since they will not make package 8 available in the Southeast region). I found 1 at Cobb County Toyota that was supposed to come in on 1/6/06. They said it wasn't taken so I ran over to put money down. After filling everything out and writing a down payment, they said there was a mistake and that it was already spoken for. They tried to get me to let them try and locate one for me but, pissed as I was that I wasted a trip, I told them that I didn't want to be tied down so I left. I went back home and continued my search. I found another one at Toyota of Roswell, called and made them verify that it was available and verify again. I ran over to put my cash down. When I got there, they said the one that I had picked was already taken but that they had another one, same color, Package 7 with leather that for some reason was not listed on the website. I was immediately suspicious but they checked up and down and said that it was not spoken for. I put money down, filled out the paperwork and left happily expectant.

The more I thought about it the more I felt that it was a mistake. The thing that made me feel the most sceptical was the fact that the one I had put money down on did NOT include the pure-profit-bend-over Toyoguard. I figured that any Prius special ordered would NOT include Toyoguard since all Prius owners are brilliant and would never willingly pay for such a crappy option if given the choice. I put myself (deluded) at ease by saying that they had checked multiple times and would never willingly sell the same car to two people (DUH - we are talking about a car dealer here).

Delivery day came and I called my salesman. He said that delivery had been delayed because leather installations were backed up at the distributor. New delivery date was 1/16/06. On Monday I called and left a message for my salesman. No return call. OK I'm nervous to begin with. Tuesday I call and leave a message. No call back. At this point I know I am getting the brush off. Wednesday I call and find out that my salesman is off that day. I ask to speak to anyone who can tell me what happened to my car. I talk with another salesman who says he will find out and call me back. No call back. Now I know the car is gone but I'm getting pissed. Fine you screwed up but call me, admit your mistake and let's move on. Thursday I call and ask for a manager. Gary Morotto comes on the line, I explain my drama and he says he'll call me back. Two hours later, I call him back and he asks me if I heard from my salesman 'cause he was supposed to call me an hour ago. Truthfully, I say no and that I can't freakin believe how this situation has played out. He says, "Well... I have a Black 2006 package 7 with leather (and Toyoguard - ^%$#*&!) it's Black (not Seaside pearl) if I take $1,500 off MSRP will you consider it?" Barely containing myself and trying to maintain my indignant tone I say yes. I'll be over in 2 hours to look at it. Of course it's freakin' beautiful. I drive it off the lot to test drive for 24 hours to see if I can "live with" the color. Screw the color, I'm drivin' a Prius!!!!! I just filled out the paperwork and dropped the down payment. Wooooooo Hooooo.

And that's how I got a 2006 package 7 Prius with leather in 2 weeks from looking to driving. There is a God and he drives a hybrid. Happy hunting.javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
    smilie

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Wow. So it's $1500 off MSRP but with Toyogard costing Five hundred something---or is it more?

You contained your invective longer than I could've. But all's well that ends well, I suppose.

Congrats!

3. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, I bailed on a SE region Black OP7 w/toyoguard and Tan leather around 1/7/06. Bought a real OP8 a month later in the Chicago region.

4. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

This is the type of post I like seeing! Congratulations on getting one BELOW msrp!! :D

Do you mind sharing your exact purchase price?

5. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulation.

I did something similar but not as good. I was looking for a #7 and where able to get a #8 for $500 under MSRP. That said the I didn't get the toyo guard. I did get the prefered package (I didn't mind that), rear bumper applique (ok) and wheel locks (why? ohwhy? the tiny prius wheel with platic rims can't be a hot comodoty can it?)... That said he took back about $200 on my trade in.

I hope you enjoy the ride!

6. Hawk

Hawk New Member

Thats great. I am trying to get a black 06 with leather rite now. I whant a package 7 with leather but they are not making that configuration in the northwest rite now so I will probably end up with a package 8

I am curently trying to fined the dealer in my area that has the best price.

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

the post icon.... Is Green with jealousy!.. Congrats on getting the deal done in your favor!