1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black BC (grey int) 9/17, Carson Toyota

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by Cris Lombardi, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

Dealer Ordered From (Incl. City/State):Carson Toyota, Ca
    Timeframe given for delivery:None given
    Color:Black with grey int.
    Option Package: BC #9
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: 57th as of 2/23/04

Well, it's starting to look like I might become the poster boy for long waits! It's been around 6 1/2 months now, just passed day 200 a couple of days ago.
    A bit of background: I placed my order at Hollywood Toyota on 9/15, and on 9/17 I discovered Dianne's list and put my name on her's as well. On 2/5 I got the call from H'wood: they had the exact car I'd ordered! But the good news turned to bad when I went to pick up the car.. they jacked the price up $2000 from the quote they'd given me less than a month earlier. I had to walk away from that. Couldn't live with the idea that I'd let them rip me off.
    So Dianne it is. I know, I know, if I didn't need that specific model and color, I'd get the car much sooner, but I keep the cars I buy for a long time and black is the only color of the bunch that I really dig. Looks like I'm in for a lot more waiting, and I'm trying to abide, babying along my 18 year-old Saab (which I bought new), but one thing would really help..
    Dianne, you've probably got the longest waiting list in the country, hundreds of people probably. You could satisfy everyone's need to know how long, if you would just post the waiting list on the Carson website. Just think, once you did that, the endless calls from impatient waitees could disappear overnight, just like that!
    I'm doing my best not to be tempted by other seductive possibilities.. Passat, mm, new Volvo S40, mmmm. I want to do the right thing and get a hybrid. It would be great if there was a list I could check on every now and again just to let me know I'm getting closer.
    How bout it Dianne? Please?

2. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Hiya Cris! I sure wish I got more cars and wow, it'd be GREAT to get a black one! :/ Sory sweetie... just hang in there. Are you sure that no other color could make you happy?

3. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

Dianne,
    For now, I'm gonna stick with Black, but my hand might be forced if I get a new job that requires a lot of driving.. don't think the old Saab would be up to that. I'm in the moviebiz here in socal, and last year got a job that had me commuting to places like Piru and Fillmore on a regular basis, often putting in 500 miles per week.
    Soo, if that happened again, I'd want to get some new wheels in a fairly short time frame. If I decided to add Tideland as a choice, would that help, or is the wait just as long for that color?

4. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Cris, adding any color is a good thing, believe me. Any other colors you add just add more choices for you in the long run!

Dianne

5. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

I saw a Tideland today and had a good hard look at it... I'm gonna stick with Black. I'm just hoping that somehow, sometime, Toyota will either catch up with demand, or start filling orders based on how long people have been waiting. Seems only fair.
    If they continue with the status quo, I figure I won't get my car till the end of this year, a total wait of 15 months or so. With the current random allocation system, I've seen postings of folks in other parts of the country getting the same Black BC after just a couple of weeks wait.. how can Toyota not think that this alienates their customers?

6. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

I dont know, but I honestly dont think it works like that. Toyota has so many cas going to a certain dealership. It would take a lot of time to actually go through the lists like that......ok joe X wants this color and this package...ok so what dealership is joe using.....ok what transport is heading to that dealeship....ok what vessel is suppling that port when that transport is getting ready to leave....ok when does that vessel leave the port in japan. That is so many steps for one car, let alone the thousands and thousands of cars that are entering this country and others across the globe. When the ship lands in japan, they fill it up with as many cars as they can and ship it out. The same things happens at each step. My dealer told me what colors he thought would be likely to come in and regardless of my choice the color he suspected did come in (liuckily it was my second choice).
    I think luck is just not on your side in this. Hopefully that will change soon!

7. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has one of THE BEST supply chains on the planet. Just think about the thousands of manufacturing firms that make parts for a specific assembly plant. Getting a car from plant A to customer B is the easy part. If the supply base can be vertically integrated, the dealer order and customer requirements are a piece of cake. There has to be a specific reason for certain cars going to certain dealers, it most certainly is not a random reason. We just dont know what that reason is.

8. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

What you just said is exactly my point. Toyota orders 100,000 air compressors for example. Each one of those is the exact same thing. It doesnt matter which ones go to which plant because they are the exact same. When you special order a car (and yes I actually have done this) you can track the car from the plant to your door. Some person inputs its location at every point. The only way toyota could do it...is if they assign every order a VIN as soon as the car is completed. That way they now VIN xyz needs to get to Carson toyota. They coul scan it like fedex and track it. Assigning VINs like that would be very difficult though since so many orders and multi orders are placed everyday.

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Hey, buddy. I ordered on the same day from Carson, but not black. Good luck to you!

It seems to me that there are probably two reasons Toyota allocates in the current "random" way:

1. There's probably some agreement Toyota has with its dealers that they will provide cars in a certain way, and changing that would likely be a big deal, like renogiating contracts with a union.

2. In the current system, orders aren't really verifiable. Even if a customer places a deposit, the customer in most cases can get that deposit back without buying the car. If the car was allocated to the customer who decides not to buy, it probably goes to the dealer whose lot it's on. That creates incentive for the dealer to take orders and then do something outrageous (like refuse to sell at the agreed upon price) to make the sale fall through. The alternative of having the car go back to Toyota for redistribution is expensive in shipping and time.

On the flipside, for cars with less demand, the dealer doesn't want to be stuck with the car if the customer backs out.

Of course this would be solved if the customer could buy direct from Toyota, with the dealers as paid middlemen.

10. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

Thanks for the enouragement everyone! I'm still hanging in there.
    As of today, April 15, I'm #41 on the waitlist at Carson Toyota. Tomorrow will mark the end of my 7th month on the list. Dianne pointed out that I've painted myself into a serious corner by holding out for a specific color and interior.. I'm hoping that, regardless of the above messages, Toyota will get their act together and start prioritizing shipments. At the very least, they could tag cars as they come off the boat + send them to those who've been waiting longest, no?

11. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Cris, how will Toyota even KNOW what anyone is waiting for, or how long you'd been waiting? How will they know this?

I hear this from time to time and I wonder why you suggest it. They have no clue what ANYONE on my list or anyone else's is waiting for, and they have no clue HOW long you have waited on anyone's list.

12. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

I guess I assumed that when all the dealers sent info about Prius orders in to Toyota (and we got the keychains to confirm that we are in their database), this information was included. I stand corrected, but I'm scratching my head. If I were Toyota, I'd want to know at least what specific packages and colors were being ordered, so I could be smart about what comes off the line.

13. Dianne

Dianne New Member

NOW you get my frustration. Welcome to my freakin' planet. They have your name and address and phone # and an eMail address - that is IT!

14. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

I'm now into my ninth month waiting for this car. Last time I checked, I was #41 on the waitlist at Carson. When I emailed Dianne today for an update, all she was able to tell me was that the situation is "dismal".

It's time for Toyota to take some responsibility for longstanding orders like this. I've never owned a Toyota, and they're not giving me a good first impression of how they run their company!

15. afsheen

afsheen New Member

Hey Cris,

Sorry to hear about your situation. (And I thought my four month wait was extreme!) I know it feels like people everywhere but LA are getting their cars after waiting a week or two, but I called over a hundred dealerships along the route from Georgia to LA before I moved here in January and all of them were quoting wait lists of over four months.

Once you get the car, you'll forget all about the waiting. It's totally worth it, even after just a week of ownership.

-af

16. Dianne

Dianne New Member

The sad thing here is that my wait line did not even start moving till mid-December, after all of the Pioneers had their cars. If Toyota had told us (me, specifically) that Pioneer cars would come out of the normal allocations, and not be like the original Pioneer cars and just dropped as "extras" because they were ordered via the internet, we'd have been in far better shape at this dealership. I would have never discounted a single Pioneer car and I would have quit taking Pioneer orders at 25 units rather than 50 of them. But, the said thing is that every single car I would have been allocated normally in October, November, and all of December was yanked to fill my Pioneer orders, leaving a huge stalled early line of folks.

If you placed a request with me in April, May, June of last year, and even thru August, Sept, Oct, etc, it wouldn't have mattered... if my line did not start moving till pretty much Christmas-time, then that's when your wait started. I have heard from people who left orders with me in spring 2003, and all the way thru last winter, but my line DID NOT START MOVING TILL CHRISTMASTIME .... and if the cars were not even being sold to the general public till November, then no one could have been "in line" till at least then, eh?

All the drama surrounding the wait times and the lines has had me stressed, frustrated, and now, bored. It will not change. They can't build them as fast as the public wants them, and with fuel pricing headed back thru the roof again, as fast as the public NEEDS them either. I have been threatened, barraged, grumbled at, and lately, even folks trying to both blackmail me threatening to "go public" with their long wait. Oh my, what a terrible thing! To go public with old news! That there is a long wait and a lack of product being allocated.

Dianne

17. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Cris, good news right now is that you are #33 on the wait list (out of over 300 on it) and keep one thing in mind: you wanted only one color choice with only one interior choice for most all of your wait time. That paints you into a corner - a long wait corner, kinda like being in time out without having done anything bad first!

18. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

interesting to read this, dianne. i recently had one dealer say they could get me a car quickly but wanted me to cancel my other orders because toyota would not allocate a car to me if i was on someone else's list. what you say above sort of confirms my general feeling that this was sales talk.

19. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    This allocation thing is very strange to me. Is it a Toyota USA problem ?

My current car is a Toyota MR2 Roadster (Spyder in the USA). When I ordered it, I specified colour, extras and so on. The order went to Toyota Germany. My dealer was able to tell me every week exactly the state of my order, including when the car went onto the production line, when it went on the ship, came of the ship, was in customs, and finally on the train being delivered to the dealer. It took 4 month from order to delivery.

I am now about to order my Prius. We have 2 choices, Sol or Executive, and 6 colours. Waiting time 8 - 10 month. Colour or "version" makes no difference as its "build to order" with each order in a queue.

I can only assume Toyota USA batch orders "on spec" and then ships them from the ports to the dealers without regard to the customers requirements.

A very strange way to work!

20. Cris Lombardi

Cris Lombardi New Member

Dianne wrote: "All the drama surrounding the wait times and the lines has had me stressed, frustrated, and now, bored."

Dianne, I'm going to make the same suggestion that I started this thread with.. why don't you just publish the Prius waitlist on the Carson website? I remember you mentioning a plan to do that many moons ago. Just put up a list in order of date received and color/option choice. It won't speed anything up of course, but it'll probably get a lot of people off your back, and folks like me who seem to be in for the long long wait can check in every so often for an update.

BTW, you're not the only one bored with this whole thing!