1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

black box

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dave Suitch, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dave Suitch

Dave Suitch New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there any way to find out from the"black box" in the Prius to find out your exact speed at an exact time on a certain day? Would the GPS record that information also?--Dave

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'd have to know the code... TechStream is the Software Toyota uses so it's possible there's an add on to that software that makes it possible. But you'd need a friend at a pretty high level at Toyota to give you access. My understanding is the black box is exclusively used for Toyota to defend themselves from lawsuits, but it's possible that an insurance adjuster who works closely with Toyota may have some type of access.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt it unless that exact time and date corresponded to "in the event of air bag deployment or sufficient impact..." Google for site:toyota.com edr.

The nav system has a "bread crumbs" feature but you have to turn that on yourself and I doubt it'd store the speed for each point.. There's no reason to and there's no UI to display it. It only leaves a trail of dots on the screen.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you stopped the car within 30 seconds and have not had it on since, there is a very good chance it is retrievable. A black box usually only has the last little bit before 'the end' in memory.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is Prii record much more than that.

[email protected] likes this.