1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black door pillars (?)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cloudshift, Jul 13, 2017.

1. cloudshift

cloudshift Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Greets all,

One thing that has always been a pet peeve of mine is keeping the black plastic bits (specifically the black door pillars [I guess they're called?], the black plastic under wiper blades, etc., nice and black and not faded looking.

My car lives outside basically 24/7, in the so-called Sunshine State, so I realize fading is inevitable, but I was wondering what you folks use to keep those bits black, uv protected, etc., (as well as to keep greasy fingerprints off those pillars when folks grasp those bits for closing doors). :)

I've read about products that offer protection/maintain-ment of the blackness (none more black), like Chemical Guys Silk Shine, Turtle Wax Ice, 303 Aerospace Protectant... So, I wondered if anyone had any positive/negative experiences they'd like to share.

Thanks for any thoughts/recommendations!

2. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm also 24/7 in the sun. Interested to see the replies. In the past, I used Armor All. But I still got fading on the black plastic pieces. Thought I might try some Turtle Wax Ice on the black, as I'm doing the rest of the car. It doesn't leave any white residue, maybe it will help.

cloudshift likes this.
  3. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I can't speak for the Toyota pillar long term.

I am using Mequires (sp) interior cleaner on them and they still look new and this product removes the finger prints.
    I also use this same product on the black plastic panel at the outside base of the windshield.

303 UV protectant also has a great internet car forum reputation yet I stick w/ Meguires.
    Mother's product Back to Black I have never been impressed with.

Good luck finding the perfect product that you like.

cloudshift likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the stuff they paint tyre rubber with would work on plastic parts. Don't suppose it costs very much compared with bespoke products....?

kithmo likes this.
  5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    It does work but the layers build up and it's difficult to clean off. I find WD40 is excellent for keeping black or grey plastics clean and it repels water so tends to stay clean longer. Good under the hood as well on airboxes etc.

RCO and CoastRider like this.
  6. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just used the Turtle Wax Ice this morning. I'll see how that holds up over the next few weeks. It was very easy on - and off. It's a very thin liquid wax, so not sure how durable it will be. But it was simple to use and leaves no white residue at all. I did the entire car, including all the black plastic exterior pieces, and even the metal part of the wiper blade arms. Everything got "Iced." :D

kithmo and RCO like this.
  7. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I had some Turtle Wax Ice a while back and it is good but doesn't last long, needs to be applied maybe every 3-4 weeks. I had the Turtle Wax Ice detailing fluid as well, great for a quick going over in between washes and makes a good lubricant for clay bar application.

CoastRider and RCO like this.