1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Dots & a Cracked Windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by even4steven, Apr 3, 2008.

1. even4steven

even4steven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, so my windshield is now cracked. The dealer wants an outrageous price of $1250 to replace. I found some windshield place with prices of $250 (non-insulated) to $375(insulated) but they could not explain the difference. Need help here.

The bigger mystery is what are the black dots on the window? Where do they come from, what do they do and how do I get more if I want them Both the dealer and the windshield guys are clueless. So I am asking, what is the story with the black dots?

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

2. pmanza

pmanza Fernsmom

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its called a "third visor" and if your glass company doesn't know what they are, I suggest finding a new glass company. The replacement should be OEM or a copy made to OEM specs which would still have the third visor.
    Fernsmom

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Stick the OEM windshield. I've seen posts where others have gone the cheap route and had problems with leakage, wind noise, and vibration of the glass.

4. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dont know about your location but in Florida windsheilds are covered under car insurance with no deductible. state law to encourage folks to replace or fix bad glass.

5. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with the posters who recommend OEM replacement at the dealership. Not only do you get OEM glass and parts, but in the event of collateral damage to your car during the installation (which has happened to me), you are in a better position for warrantied repairs than at a small unaffiliated glass shop.

And yes, windshield replacement has gotten very expensive. That is why my glass deductible is $50.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, if you have extra money you want to get rid of please send it to me.

Otherwise, go to a glass specialty place to have your windshield replaced. If you think the dealer actually does this you need to stop buying swamp land and bridges! He calls the glass specialty place and they come and install the windshield for him, bills him, then he marks up the bill (a lot) and charges you or your insurance company.

Example - the anti-Prius (2001 Nissan Pathfinder) needed a new windshield. Dealer wanted $1200 or so. Best price from glass specialty co. was $320. It ended up being exactly the same as the Nissan part (had "Nissan" on the bottom right). It was done professionally with no damage to the vehicle and it didn't leak. When I had it replaced I asked about the Prius, as I was thinking of buying one at the time, and was worried the large windshield would be expensive. Not so, same price as the anti-Prius.

Oh, and the "black dots" are part of the plastic laminated in the middle of the windshield, and are there to reduce optical reflection/glare along the edges and around the rear-view mirror.

7. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Anymore I think almost all worthwhile car insurance includes glass replacement with a small (usually $100, sometimes $50) deductible. And making a claim doesn't, or isn't supposed to, have a negative effect on your rates. Check with your insurance carrier.