1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Interior and Summer Heat

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Lyle Ryan, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Lyle Ryan

Lyle Ryan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking at a 2022 LE, and the only thing I don't like is the black interior.
    My 2010 currently has the light grey interior, and I've always thought that was a plus when it comes to Summer heat.
    I suppose I could get lighter colored seat covers, but the interior would still be mostly black.
    And I'd use reflective shields on the front and rear windshields when parked.
    The light grey interior seems harder to find.

Any thoughts on black interiors vs summer heat?
    Thanks....

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It gets out. I do have a shield and it helps a bit. Tinting the windows help as well as cracking the windows open when in the sun. It also help to keep the battery from overheating.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Grand scheme? Doesn't really matter. If you get all in to the radiative transfer equations you'll find that colors and materials really don't make that much difference. The equations rely on the theoretical "black body" perfect absorber/emitter functioning in a vacuum. Shade is your friend, as much as you can get. I use a solar shield on the front windshield basically to keep the steering wheel from becoming a branding iron. Those of us in the hot climates have already learned how to operate our vehicles with only two fingers that are kept in rotation. I will say that the Gen 4 HVAC is a big improvement from previous generations.

4. Robert21PrimeLTD

Robert21PrimeLTD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a Silver 2021 Prime LTD with a black interior. I've only owned it for one summer. I purchased a YelloPro sunshade ($27) that is custom sized to fit perfectly. I also drape a white cotton towel over the sliding luggage compartment cover. The heat in the Nashville area can be brutal but these 2 accommodations really help. My last vehicle had a tan interior but wasn't any cooler.