1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Plastic Undercarriage Falling Off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Metrolens, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The black plastic undercarriage strip of my 2005 Gen2, which attaches to my front bumper, is falling off. It normally attaches by three screws, but as you can see, the attach points are all broken through, so it may be difficult to reattach the screws. This should be a pretty easy repair, but I thought I'd post first here for advice before proceeding.

thumbnail.jpg thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail (2).jpg

2. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Zip Ties.

Metrolens and SFO like this.
  3. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, zip ties. I imagine I have to drill new holes somewhere in the silver plastic, to thread the zip ties through and cinch the black plastic tight. But that seems a very workable solution.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an ice cream container lid and some plastic weld type glue to make reinforcing pieces on the back of the bumper plastic. Then used the normal fixing clips and bolts to put it all back together. A bit more work, but a nicer finish, if you can be bothered. Same technique also works on the black skirt plastic, if those fixing holes get torn out.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you can use a soldering iron to actually weld rips. Never done it though. You would want to practice, maybe pre-warm with a heat gun too.

I have used 2-part epoxy and fiberglass mesh reinforcement, worked pretty good.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Repairs using soldering iron or plastic welder are pretty easy. Once you get used to that you won’t go back to using glue or fiberglass resin (especially if you ever try to plastic weld a part that has previously been repaired with glue/resin).

Mendel Leisk likes this.