1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Scuff Marks on Wheelskins steering wheel cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Jul 14, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered the solid light gray Wheelskins cover for my steering wheel, and it has a bunch of black scuff marks around the circumference of the wheel. It looks like the gray leather dye might be coming off and maybe it is black underneath. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this as a problem.

I have been considering buying a new one, perhaps a different brand. Are there any other favorite leather wheel covers for Prius?

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

3. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I have put wheelskin two tones on my last two cars. I love the look and feel, but they really don't hold up very well. They are real easy to scrape and cut, and the color is only on the surface, which means that a light color ends up with ugly dark scrapes. I guess I'll just get a new one every few years.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 25 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]502217[/snapback]</div>
    I'm very pleased that your hunger strike ceased, and I hope you enjoyed the chicken! B)

As my car is black, I suspect it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other whether the (now black or very dark grey--can't figure out which) steering wheel has a darker/lighter color makes much of a difference. AND--I had the windows tinted a few months anyway...Not QUITE legally by California standards, but what the hey...DH did a wrap on his '76 Triumph Spitfire a few years ago, so I'll let him sort out the details of how to do this one. I've ordered the swatches and I guess I'll just wait to see which one looks closest to OEM plastic.

Too bad I didn't figure all this out about 6k miles ago (she writes westbound from Flint, MI).

I had a, well, a Prius Chat I guess I'd have to call it, with the motel manager when I was checking in. He says there are wait lists here for the '07 Prii. In CA, last I looked, they were on the lots, with 3k discounts and 0% financing. The only thing we could figure was this GM town is keeping out Prii... <_<

As to scuffs, well, maybe I WILL go with black and just keep a Sharpie handy!

6. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Aug 25 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]502221[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like Rufaro should definately go with the black, becuase that is the color of the wheelskin after it gets scuffed. Maybe the black ones aren't painted at all.

I didn't know they had a "Dark Gray".

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got black with bisque interior.

I have an all black wheelskin with solid and perforated parts. I used to have a leather covered wheel on my previous car so wanted leather. I was concerned with putting a leather cover on a wheel that seemed already pretty thick but I got used to it really fast. I haven't had any problems with scuffs because I don't wear rings and I'm the only one that drives the car. I can't imagine how it would get scuffed. It's been on since about June 2005 and is holding up very well. I would do it again.

When I put it on I used a crochet hook to help me pull it tight. I put the wheelskin on the wheel and let it sit for a bit to warm up in the car, then stretched it, then did it again. The fit should be very tight. I then stitched it and used the crochet hook to continue to pull it tight, let it sit, tightened it some more, etc. The only thing I would do differently is use a 'baseball' stitch rather than a whip stitch like the directions say. For that you'd need two needles but that a cheap and easy purchase. They might even send you two needles if you explained what you were going to do.