1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Black Stiffening Plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrbigh, Jan 21, 2008.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    :rolleyes:
    Just found a dealer in Ebay selling a look alike BT Tech at $60.00 or best offer.
    For those drivers in need and at a very reasonable price, take advantage of the promotion

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting, it looks identical to my eye....maybe the mounting screws use the OEM position instead of the holes the BT plate uses?

3. dculber

dculber New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    wow, looks like the same pics of the BT plate, I wonder what the differences are. For half the price, it looks like it might be a good deal...

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's probably some guy selling a used BT plate or perhaps one that was purchased and never installed. He doesn't list multiple quantities, and his history of stuff for sale looks miscellaneous.

5. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the guy is selling 15 of 'em.... he's definitely manufacturing 'em or has a friend doing the work...

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The pictures this guy posted was taken off of the Prius Chat online store. All of our BT Tech stiffening plates that were manufactured from October 2005 until now have had several design changes. The picture that this person posted was of our first revision as you can tell that the reliefs were cut manually and not by the CNC. Also, you can see that the reliefs were not anodized as inidcated in his picture. In other words, what he is posting is a direct copy off of the Prius Chat online store.

Even his description of the product was copied from the PC store...

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you're right. sorry, i stand corrected. didn't notice the multiple quantities. i wonder what they really look like.

8. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wouldn't buy it since if the guy can't even bother to post up actual pictures of the part he's selling or write up his own description of the part, well...

BT Tech, you should be able to report the auction to eBay for violating copyright of your images and get it shut down.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree that if the buyer is not able to provide real pictures or descriptions of his own product that chances aren't good that this is a quality product.

PriusChat has submitted requests to eBay and to the seller to have the listing edited/removed due to it's intellectual property violations.

I encourage all PriusChat members to stay away from this seller.

10. dculber

dculber New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I emailed the guy to find out more, since it is a good price I wanted to see what he had to say:

"[FONT=arial,sans-serif]I make the plates in my machine shop. I build NHRA race cars engines and when I seen these things selling for $160 I new I could do them for less. I won a prius and have seen a lot of these simple to make items selling for way to much. I just do not like seeing people getting taken advantage of over soemthing this simple. Yes it uses the factory holes. Yes this is the one you will be getting. It is X braced and black in color. I could do a polished aluminum if you wanted but black is easier. Mine is half the price b/c there is not middle man. I buy the Aluminum in bulk and make them myself. It does't take long on a my machine, but if you want me to raise my price to ease your mind I have no problem with that either."

SO, I emailed him back to get actual pics of the plate he makes OFF the car. Waiting to see if he replies or not. Not trying to knock the BT plate, but if its "almost" as good, but half the price why not give it a try. I was planning on getting the BT brace this next month, but might give this a shot if it's legit.. [/FONT]

11. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gee, I think I would hesitate on buying a precision-tooled part from someone that can't type.
    Maybe I'm just a snob... I have a REAL BT Plate ;)

12. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The fraud and disastifaction reporting methods on EBAY are so corrupt (better word somebody?) that I will not buy anything on there that is under $100 unless the vendor has better than 99.5 % satisfaction. This guy has 98.2%. He has to be a rip-off artist in my opinion. A 98.2% EBAY rating in my opinion is equivalent to 2 % satisfaction of actual customers.

EBAY gets paid by the sellers, and they are loathe to be accurate about a poor vendor.

13. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    personally, 98% is pretty good feedback. Anyhow, like i said before .. he probably making it himself. If he knows the dimension all he has to do is write one program and drop the aluminum block in and just hit start. It is relatively easy to make things like this. If you think about it's it's really a big block with couple of holes in it. There's no welding required either...

14. dculber

dculber New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    seller ended the listing..

15. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    think about it if he was posting PriusChat pics its a little questionable... about feedback.. its a percentage... it depends on the number of people saying he is good or bad.. 98% is not bad but just by looking at the pics makes me wonder,,, :confused:

I have BT's and no complains...:D

16. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I actually inquired about this part myself. Here was the response I received.

Yes this is the plate. I build NHRA race car engines so doing there same design on my machines was easy. Really it doesn't even need to be X braced but to cut down on weight I left it the same. I can make them in black or leave them bare aluminum. The dimensions are about 4" wide 1/2 thick and 14" long. The bolt holes are sunk so that the bolt heads are flush. Theres really no such thing as a BT plate. There all made out of the same type of aluminum and machined on a machine. You can call them whatever you want but the product is the same. A wooded chair is still a wooden chair no matter who makes it. Well maybe it would be a cheap wooded chair if it was made in China...haha.

I have only made mine to start with for my car. I have a bunch of emails to answer on them but once I get some orders for them I will take some more pictures and put them in my ad and send you some.

I too have been considering this part, but the $165 price seems a little steep for this...?

17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The BT Plate isn't just a hunk of aluminum, machined and then painted black.
    Aluminum will corrode, you know. Paint chips off.

This guy obviously doesn't understand what trademarks, service marks, and product names mean, if he thinks that "BT" is a type of plate. geeez. If he keeps using the name "BT plate" he could find himself in serious legal difficulties.

Like a said. Rather less than completely bright. Maybe he can make a nice little stiffener bar for his own Prius. That's nice. Goody for him. I'm not going to play into his little fantasy, however.

18. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

19. pr4424

pr4424 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    any updates on this?

20. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a thread on the BT Plate where it is explained the process... some sort of electroplating, I'm sure. Anyway, it is finished in such a way that the plating does not come off, and so the plate does not oxidize.