1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blank display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mongo, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mongo

mongo Junior Member

Get in, push the Power button. The display screen is completely unlit. After a few seconds (20?) the screen lights up, but displays no information. Pushing buttons on the display or around the display caused no beeps, but the display did change to different screens. On the climate page it showed "air conditioner not connected" or something like that.

Restarting the car made no difference in this behavior.

I then started driving the car and within a minute or two, the display returned to normal and all was fine.

This has happened to both my wife and me in the last 48 hours.

Anyone else experience this?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's a good one. I've seen plenty of posts about odd behavior. Most of the time, the car seems to fix itself after a little while, but if it has happened a couple times in as many days, I think it's time to have someone at the dealership take a look at it.

Good luck coaxing the car to reproduce the performance with witnesses.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One poster was able to reproduce the problem by chilling the car (it was late summer, and he set the AC to max cold).
    MFD is usually replaced with this symptom.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    LOL

Dan, when I read "chill the car" I immediately envisioned a large blow-up swimming pool filled with ice and a Prius setting in the middle.

Good thinking though. It would make sense with the colder temperature and the symptom being that it's blank at first and then starts functioning (assuming the heat is on and warms the MFD).

In this case, Mongo, you might have to let it set overnight at the dealer, not run the heat, or crank the A/C. I'm concerned, though, that if you show up at the dealer in January with the A/C cranked they might have you committed before they check out the car! :)

5. mongo

mongo Junior Member

I left it overnight at the dealer and they have ordered a new display. They'll contact me when it arrives. :?

6. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been having the same problem since Thanksgiving. Temperature is not a factor that I have observed, but with intermittent problems, I can see how it might behave that way.

At present this problem crops up almost every time I drive the car. I took it to the dealer on 7 Dec. When I got it back and they said their were recalls and they'd ordered the parts. The funny thing was they were telling my that 40J would fix the problem. I told them that the new DVD wasn't the answer. Sometimes you need to let people make their own mistakes. It just annoys me when it costs my time. There is more to this, but let's not get derailed.

I knew there would be a problem communicating an intermittent electronic problem to a mechanic, so I gave them the following description at the time I dropped the car at the service desk. To be accurate, the cruise control issue has been added to the list since that time.

I got 40E, 40J, and 40L on 23 Dec. They were apologetic and ordered the new MFD....

Problems with MFD. L.A. Bumm 2004 Dec 19

I have been experiencing intermittent problems with the Multi-Function Display (MFD). In all cases I have been driving and the hybrid system was apparently functioning normally.

• The system may start up in a failure mode and then spontaneously fix itself, sometimes becoming progressively more functional. When this happens the radio, if operating, turns off.
    • The failure may occur while driving after operating normally.
    • I have also seen it simply restart while driving, displaying the Prius Splash Screen.
    • Most times I have observed that some of the functions are inoperative.
    • Sometimes the MFD displays message 'check the system'. It is completely unresponsive to buttons and touch screen.
    • The touch screen and the buttons may be unresponsive of slow to respond.
    • The audio turns on and off by itself if it was initially on. When the failure is complete the audio is stable, it is controlled by the power button. If the MFD reboots (Prius splash screen appears) the audio will turn off (the default state). The audio can be unstable, turning on and off by itself. I have only observed this to happen when the audio was initially on. This appears to only happen when the MFD is flaking in and out.
    • When the problem occurs at startup, the screen is blank (black) for many seconds after the Prius splash screen, then either the info screen with the blank battery charge indictaor or the message 'check the system' appears.
    • Cruise Control. During the time that the MFD displayed check the system, I was unable to get the cruise control to engage. The cruise control light was flashing. Normally it is steady. (This has only happened once.)

Complete failure: MFD displays message check the system. It is completely unresponsive to buttons and touch screen.

Partial Failure: On start, Prius splash screen appears, then the info display.

info display
    • no battery level indication (blank)
    • not outside temp (blank)
    • no mpg (blank)
    • no energy consumption indication (blank)
    climate
    • message check connection to the air conditioner.
    audio
    • message audio off even when radio is playing.

Putting the system in System Check Mode, I have observed two conditions.

CONDITION 1.
    EMV OK
    NAVI NCON
    Audio H/U NCON
    G/W NCON
    DSP-AMP NCON

CONDITION 2.
    EMV OK
    NAVI OK
    Audio H/U OK
    G/W NCON
    DSP-AMP OK

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    L.A. Bumm, your thoroughness is commendable.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I too just experienced the flashing cruise light today. Went out and restarted and the car was fine just now. Anyone figure out exactly what would cause it?

9. labumm

labumm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What I can add to my statement above is that the night that I experienced the flashing cruise light problem, the MFD was in 'check the system' failure mode. It was as dead as I have seen it. And it was like that for a while, but I don't remeber how long.

The dealer replaced the MFD yeserday (and did my 10,000 mi service for free!). I haven't observed any more MFD problems since then. I don't want to declare victory yet, the time and miles have been very short. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

--LAB

10. Dauth

Dauth New Member

Just got my 2004 back today from having the MFD replaced. At about 15k miles I started to experience the same slow response or locked-up condition others reported. Mine would usually shut off the radio as well.

Anyway, it turns out Toyota has now issued a TSB for this condition. If anyone is experiencing similar things tell the dealer to look up TSB EL002-05

Now for the odd question - when I got my car back, it turns out they installed the wrong display in my car. I have a package 7 car (no navigation) but when they replaced my MFD they put in a Nav Package style display. Before I take it back and have them revert back to the right display - is there anyway I can make this work for me and install the rest of the Navigation equipment (minus the steering wheel controls of course) for a relatively inexpensive price?

11. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

There is a considerable amount of heat around the multifuncion display (MFD) when lit. It is entirely possible that Toyota has a MFD heat dissipation problem here, and that heat is cooking the components around it, shortening component life dramatically.

Switching off the MFD for driving may prolong its service life, but staring at that screen is half the fun of being being in a Prius while stopped in city driving....lets see, that style of driving increased fuel economy...that didn't work well...etc.

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

no. the unit under the passenger seat is fairly expensive like about $4500 and you'll probably need a new wire harness, plus the computer for the nav display which is different from the no-nav and it's almost $800 plus the microphone in the roof panel $80 Shall I continue? I'd get the dealer to put in the proper display.

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

He now has the computer for the NAV display because of the dealer error, that's why he is looking to getting NAV.

If all you want is NAV, you need the NAV ECU, which goes under the driver seat. You would have to route quite a few new wires to it, such as video, AVC, power, driver door speaker intercept, etc.

Bluetooth and voice recognition would require a microphone, as Frank pointed out, but you could skip that, just as you intend on skipping the additional steering wheel controls.

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

part number for the navigation computer unit under the seat is
    86841-50090 Price is $4542.27
    Navigation controller part number
    86116-47050 Price $794.91
    CD for the navigation computer part number is
    86271-33040 Now the price has come, down last I heard it was about $260 originally $973.36 This Part number has probably changed as the updated disks are release. There are also about $70 worth of brackets and covers involved with just the nav computer.
    the antenna for the nav system Part number 86860-47080 list for $438.04

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Frank,

Are those US or Canadian $$$?

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I forgot about the antenna. That's an important piece.

Navigation Controller, do you mean the MFD? That's the only ECU connecting to the NAV under the seat. He mistakenly got the nav version of the MFD.