1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bled all 4 brakes- cant reset ABS lights- 2009 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009PriusOwnerSacramento, Jun 13, 2023.

1. 2009PriusOwnerSacramento

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi there, I bled all 4 brakes yesterday with the driver door open. Now all my ABS lights are on, a loud constant beep, and brakes barely work at all. I tried the paper clip reset method and it does not work. What happened?

2. 2009PriusOwnerSacramento

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    added note: bleeding was done the "old fashioned way" of a 1 person method- bleeder hose submerged in brake fluid and brake pedal pressed down slowly multiple times

3. 2009PriusOwnerSacramento

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    update: constant beep is gone and seems like only rear 2x brake drums work. All lights still on and paper clip reset method still does not work

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Retrieve the obd2 codes stored in the computers (ECUs), then post them in this thread for additional guidance.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can only bleed the fronts by the old method somewhat The back brakes are connected directly to the pump and accumulator system they don't get operated by the pedal per se. So when the relays are in and all that you should be able to crack a zerk fitting at the right or left rear and have fluid come squirting out right smartly If anything's in the way it'll hit it and you'll know it the squirting coming out of the fitting The two fronts I don't think I'll do this until you put your foot on the pedal but the back I think with the relays in is live you crack the fitting fluids are coming Make sure it's full up front.

6. 2009PriusOwnerSacramento

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    SOLVED: couldnt get any DTC's. decided to take to shop. told them I recommend doing a full techstream flush. they found the brake fluid sensor in the reservoir was stuck and had to be replaced.... after the flush and new reservoir/sensor, the brakes work great now. Tons better than before. NOTE TO SELF-- TAKE HYBRIDS TO A SHOP FOR A BRAKE BLEED/FLUSH. Oh, and it only cost $790 :(:(:cry::cry::mad:

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So they found something broken or stuck so then that would have been your light out and then what was the rest You couldn't bleed the front of the rear?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the Toyota instruction. For gen 2 I think Techstream is mandatory?

In your shoes, think I'd have it towed to a dealership, have them sort it out.

Attached Files:

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, that doesn't do it.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.