1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blemish on paint.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grren4ever, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Howdy folks.

4 days after noticing killing a few bugs on the hwy with my 3 week old prius, I finally had time to do a proper car wash today. Unfortunately, it was too late - one of the bug's blood did some damage to the clear coat of my bumper and there is a very very small blemish on the paint.

I tried to clay bar the blemish and also used a 3M magic eraser w/ some soapy water to lightly scrub the area but no luck.

If you love your car as much as I do, don't wait more than a day or two to wash them off the bumper. I know that nothing stays new forever but at least we can prolong the newness with proper care. I definitely will take extra step to get things off the car; it's hard to want to pull out the hose and some soap when you've just come home from work after a tiring day!

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Blemishes like this can be largely prevented by removing the contaminant as soon as possible, but what you have there can almost certainly be removed with some polish. It may also take a proper cutting pad and a random orbit polisher, but there is little that won't come out. The clear is much thicker than the paint. You just need to get the blemish out of the clear. A magic eraser is way too abrasive. Don't use that again, you'll just scratch your clear coat!

The problem is, the more particular you are, the more particular you get. Eventually you won't want the car to get wet because water spots can cause damage too!!