1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blind Spot - Best Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by whyrichard, Sep 28, 2012.

1. whyrichard

whyrichard New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey,

I have been driving my new prius for just a week or so and I love it.
    I do notice that my blind spot seems a bit larger then what i'm used to... what are your blind spot suggestions?

I am thinking of getting as tiny as possible concave mirror to attach to the inside bottom corner of each side mirror... what do you think?

which one doesn't suck? or at least stucks least...

thanks!

r.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some have suggested moving the side view mirror to the outer corner of the fender.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand the resistance?

As much benefit and I think added safety that simply adding those small concave mirrors adds? I don't get some peoples resistance to using them. I've added them to every vehicle I've owned...from Pick-Up with a Canopy and a horrible blind spot...to my current Honda Fit.

If a quick or hurried glance, and a image in the concave mirror stops someone from making an quick ill advised lane change? It's well worth it.

But I've noticed (especially it seems with younger people) that using a concave mirror seems to be a badge of dishonor or something?

I think they help a lot, come in almost every variety of sizes and shapes...and look pretty unobtrusive.

I don't think they "suck" at all....

marvingloria2011 likes this.
  4. Chunker

Chunker My name is Chunker...I wear a hat

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I belive you guys mean convex mirrors...the ones that look like little domes. Concave means they are little bowls...=) That said I agree with snijd...I love convex mirrors.

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ughh...You are correct...I love CONVEX mirrors....

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Or if you install European side mirror glass which has the convex mirror built in at the far end. Having looked on ebay, non Toyota parts can be had from £8 ($11?). Make sure you order the LHD version as the convex mirror is only on the drivers side. That way you get the benefit of the convex mirror without the awful stick on aftermarket look.

7. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Search the internet for "autobahn" mirrors. I have one attached to the driver side "a" pillar with the self adhesive tape and a short screw into the plastic. Easy to do, does not interfere with the air bag. Have used them for years in last 5 cars. You could also do one on passenger side, but I also have a "Broadway" mirror attached to the rear view mirror to give me a larger view thru the right side windows. Griot's Garage also has them for $20.00. Wife took the camera or I would get a pic for you. Advantage to these over the ones you stick on the mirrors is these don't fog up in cold weather, or get wet in rain.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found that adjusting my mirrors to expose more of the road and less of the side of my car works great. I tilt them out far enough that I actually have to move my head to see the sides of my car. This basically eliminates the blind spot when combined with looking over your shoulder.

Jaquimo and Josh83 like this.
  9. blkpriusgirl

blkpriusgirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lower the head rest of the back seats. It helps looking out the back window.

10. JAYSONE

JAYSONE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After a close call on my motorcycle due to having to look over my shoulder to clear my blind spot long ago...I decided to add them on my F4i too.

I've witnessed too many things in the ER to worry about other people's opinions. Honestly, If I cared about what other people think, I probably wouldn't of ended up buying a prius.

Bottom line, find the suggested solution that works for you and go with it. Personally, I feel uncomfortable driving a car that doesn't have a set of convex mirrors nowadays.

11. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What F8L said; I have mine adjusted so that there is no blind spot big enough for a car; by the time they're out of my rear view mirror, they're into my side mirror. When they're out of my side mirror, I can see them next to me. I still check over my shoulder, of course. Here's an illustration and instructions.

Jaquimo and F8L like this.
  12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is exactly how it works for me. Thanks for illustrating it better than I did.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm also using my mirrors this way, the one exception is I also have convex mirrors placed on the lower inside corners of both side mirrors.

I'm too used to seeing the side of my vehicle and what's behind me in my side mirrors to give that up. The convex mirrors still give me a view of that with the added benefit of being able to see stall markings when parking.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used those instructions to adjust my mirrors. It is how I keep my mirrors, and it does work. However, I still use a convex mirror.

It's just another level of safety. Often times in driving, especially on the freeway, at freeway speeds, life and death, or "accident" decisions are made at an immediate split second rate. If a convex mirrors saves me from making one ill advised move? It was worth the very modest expense.

I also think despite being able to better adjust your mirrors...which everyone SHOULD do, the truth is mirrors get knocked in parking lots...or slowly find themselves out of adjustment. If your mirror get's knocked in a parking lot, or slightly pushed going through a car wash, or being washed...and you don't immediately notice it? A convex mirror can still be a life saver.

My advice would be to do both....adjust your mirrors properly and get use to using the 3 mirror technique, but also buy a convex mirror.

15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So why don't your side mirrors get the convex end like the Euro and JDM versions? Surely it's a simple safety improvement for minimal outlay by Toyota.

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    See: Avoiding The Blind Spot | Car Talk

17. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a pair of convex mirrors on my SUV and I found the view on them too small to be of any practical use, especially at night. On my Prius mirrors are adjusted as F8L has described and it works perfectly for me.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    SUVs and vans typically have larger side mirrors. I used 3 inch convex mirrors on my side mirrors when I had an SUV, not the smaller ones.