1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blind spot monitor just paid for itself multifold

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by dslomer64, Jun 15, 2017.

1. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Changing lane to left as usual, turn signal on, looking in driver's side mirror; nothing-no car, no flashing or solid light. Suddenly, still looking in mirror: CAR AND FLASHING LIGHT.

Swerved back into my lane, which I hadn't nearly left.

No problem.

So I've been wondering if the guy had been speeding. Didn't consider that yesterday when I rolled down window after we had stopped and I apologized.

Or is my lane-changing algorithm, which hadn't caused any prior such near-disasters, in need of tweaking. I think I've been asking for such near-miss by not turning my head enough for a fail-safe look (with eyes, not mirror) at left lane. Click and Clack always mandated NOT turning head, saying learn to trust your mirrors. 'Course they were never wrong about anything. My reasoning: I got my signal on; who'd try to zip around me.

Whatever, I'll never have another car without it.

Gen 2 (2006) and Gen 4 (2017)

wgary, KennyGS and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you turn your signal on, the first thing they do is hit the gas. they don't want to be behind you.:p
    gotta love bms, glad there was no incident.(y)

RCO, Kramah313 and Since2002 like this.
  3. tucatz

tucatz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Sadly, the days of courteous drivers are over. Today it's "me first, me first" and rush rush, slam slam.

Glad you're ok. I'm still reminding myself to see the BSM indicator. First car ever with this feature, still getting used to it.

WilDavis likes this.
  4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …but @tucatz, you're forgetting we are now living in The Age of Entitlement!

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is one feature that is missing in my Trim Two. They have now added it for 2017.5. :(

6. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm very pleased with the safety features on my car. I can say that I've used them all several times. I'm a careful and observant driver but many people are not. They've been especially useful in tight parking lots. I love that cross traffic alert!

raspy and kithmo like this.
  7. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you're safe and sound. Indeed, now I'm used to BSM as a driver assist, it's great to have an extra pair of eyes, especially when other drivers dart near you at the last minute.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Each generation of Prius has more steeply raked beltline, can't be helping matters. Is there some technical reason for that, side impact protection or something? (n)

9. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2016 Two is equipped with two visual devices that warn me about issues when changing lanes. Rear view mirrors on each side, and round convex blind spot mirrors. I first study the blind spot mirror, and then the large field of the rear view mirror. Then I check over the shoulder. Rinse, repeat and then move. BTW, the blind spot mirrors are not adjustable -- those just don't work.

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My son's Civic has a camera mounted on the passenger side mirror activated by the right turn signal. That appears to be a good idea, IMHO
    [​IMG]

Kramah313 likes this.
  11. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Our odyssey has this and we love it. I'd rather see it myself than have an electronic system try to tell me what's there. To the OP, if you aren't going to shoulder check, you at least moved over slowly and carefully. Your lack of aggression and impatience probably saved you.

12. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, Kramah, camera would be preferable. Can't decide if that's foolproof, though. There's always room for accident under right (wrong) conditions. I guess I had gotten too cocky about 1=car, 0=no car. It's a continuum. While I've more than once checked with a quick head turn, I guess I gotta do it more often, if not every time.

Lane change alarm has bailed me out a couple of times, too. I never thought of myself as careless, but was definitely a lot more aggressive than now, at age ... 3 score years and 1/2 a score and 1, with new Prius.

I'm'a get a Tesla 3 next!

Kramah313 likes this.
  13. dslomer64

dslomer64 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the driving tips.

BTW, are you talking about Blind Spot MONITORS not working? They're very reliable, IMHO and experience. Except for this one case where I had a near-miss, my BSMs have never failed. In fact, it did not fail me this time, either. It saved me, as posted. It was its flashing that alerted me; then I saw the car.

BTW, looking over shoulder is only absolutely necessary if regular and convex mirrors (if any) aren't adjusted properly. If you don't trust your convex mirror's view, why (twice?) look at (or even install) it? I'd rather keep my eyes on the road ahead. But I'll give a quick look if it seems warranted.

BTW, on my '06, I have convex mirror on driver's side only, since the passenger-side mirror gives a plenty wide-enough view, if adjusted properly. And I would sometimes turn my head slightly, anyway, but only if I felt a little uneasy, e.g., in heavier-than-usual traffic--i.e., I knew that what the mirrors were showing me was reality. But I never rinsed and repeated. Gee, do it three times.

Hey, put a convex mirror on the interior mirror!

But had I turned my head to see if there was something back there, I guess I wouldn't have even had a near miss and would be doing something else right now. Whatever. No wrecks in 55 years of driving.

14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have had this happen to me many times, and like you said... it's more than paid me back. (y)

dslomer64 likes this.
  15. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the key is making adjustments. Over time sometimes I get more careless or less diligent about some aspect of driving, then a near miss wakes me up. If you can be humble enough to consider what you are doing wrong it can be a good teaching tool. And you seem to be, so props on that. Best to correct now when it's a near miss instead of when it's a wreck. I have the feeling you always do that in 55 years of accident free driving. I have been driving about 15 years and would love to wind up like that someday.

dslomer64 likes this.
  16. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm liking what they do in the Cadilacs. The rearview mirror doubles as a screen for a rear mounted camera for a clear uncluttered rear view. My rearview mirror shows the interior of my car really well but not much out the back, especially in the blind spots.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you expect them to design for functionality? I sometimes think they design for maximum blindspots. :eek:

MichelleStone likes this.