1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blind Spot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ken Cooper, May 21, 2004.

1. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

One evening last weekend (it was dark) I backed up into a parking lot pole located on the driver's side where the bumper starts curving around.

I had a thin friend stand in that spot; couldn't see him. There's a blind spot there.

Got on-line and bought an IR sensor for $29.95. Mounted it at the base of the bumper on the driver's side. It works very well. When I stand back there with the car in reverse I get a slow beeping sound when I'm about 4 feet away and quick beeping when I'm about 2 feet away.

For general use now, it's handy for parking.

One thing's for sure though, if I back into post again, it won't be as if I wasn't warned.

Any suggestions for making my bumper scratches less visible. Years ago I tried touch-up paint on something similar. It ended up where the scratch was less obnoxious looking than the touch-up paint.

Ken

2. ToothYoda

ToothYoda New Member

Can you provide more information about the sensor you installed?

3. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can buy a set of 1.5in diameter stick on round surface mirrors and affix them to the upper outer corners of each of your side view mirrors. They will allow you to see "around the corner" when backing up. They work great for parallel parking, enabling you to see the curb as you back into the spot. Lots cheaper than an electrical infrared sensor, but not as cool.

j12piprius likes this.
  4. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

The sensor is a Smartpark 2000 made by American Technologies. I found this item on Brandsmall.com.

With it being infrared, I've discovered it has one little irritation factor, when the sun is shining right into it, it alarms as if I'm backing into something.

It's designed to mount on those two holes on the base of your license plate or license plate frame but can be mounted anywhere (see photo).

Mounted on the base of the bumper as I've configured it, I was able to run the wires under the trunk to a rubber wire feedthru running up into the trunk. From there I ran two wires to the backup light wiring (connected with the provided apparatus) and the other two wires to the small provided speaker (I mounted it next to the tiny aft side window).

Now, I'll go try to ad the picture to my photos page - Wish I knew how to show the photo in this posting.

5. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    easy, actually. i know, because i can do it.

when you're creating your post or reply, down below the Message Body section and the Notify me box is Add an Attachment.

put your photo on your pc where you can find it, then just click the "browse" button off to the right of the "Filename" line.

browse to the file and double-click it (assuming PC... Mac=???) and the file will be uploaded. you can title it if you wish, too.

'k?

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    How do you differentiate the beep from the normal Prius reverse beep?