1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blinding lights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by grasshopper, Apr 17, 2006.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Are you tired of getting blinded by the SUV behind you, or across from you at the red light? :blink:

Why are these vehicles allowed to have there head lights 5 feet off the ground? Unless you choose to drive a truck or SUV instead of a regular automobile, you are at the mercy of there blinding lights.

Let’s get a standard height for headlights. Write, call or e-mail your Congressman/Representative to get this dangerous situation addressed.

This is a free country and therefore (as far as I’m concerned) you may drive anything on our highways that’s legal. But give me a break, get those dammed lights out of my eyes.

Wait a minute, maybe that’s why they make pellet guns? Yea, that’s it. :ph34r:

What do you think???

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been wanting a standard hight for lights ever since I started driving.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While we're at it, how about standard bumper heights? :)

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I think it's unreasonable and a load of crap. Standard headlight height. Standard bumper height. How about standard car weights to minimize vehicle imcompatibilities. What about semi trucks? They are in gross derilection of all these points. School busses? Get rid of em, or change them all to comply.

Quit singling out SUV's and trying to make them seem bad.

What about Honda Civics with outrageous body kits and super bright, high power healdights. They are not too high but are equally blinding.

BTW, there are standardized bumper heights and headlight heights. They must be in a certain range. If they are above OR below these guidelines they are OK. All vehicles (including SUV's) made today meet those requirements. No reason to change them simply because you don't like them.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking of safety. I've seen a lot of trucks with lift kits and huge tires which raise their bumper height to the level of my head. The front of a wedgy little sportscar would hit the transfer case first.

And talking about school buses; they should at least have seat belts.

6. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 18 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]241670[/snapback]</div>
    +1

There's ALWAYS going to be something about some vehicle you don't like. I don't like obnoxiously loud Harley's, but I don't complain, or make efforts to have them banned... Each to their own I say....

7. dipper

dipper Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 18 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]241689[/snapback]</div>
    :lol:

Watch the anti-hybrid crowd comes out and say something like....

1. Ban hybrids because they are saving too much gas to not pay for road services.
    2. Ban hybrids because they are carrying extra weigh in battery damaging road surfaces.
    3. Ban hybrids because their battery is toxic and will cause landfill problems.
    4. Ban hybrids because drivers drive too slow in the fast lane... :blink:

Oh.. the anti-hybrid crowd... :p

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Apr 18 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]241689[/snapback]</div>
    I like running into people with my car. You OK with that? Where do you draw the line? Law? How were the laws made? Was it because nobody ever complained about something that was annoying or wasn't safe?

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 18 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]241685[/snapback]</div>
    And most of those are illegal. They just rarely get stopped for it. Kind of like tinted windows - I see many that are darker than legal, but they just don't get stopped.

I think vehicles would probably start to look pretty homely if lights were at a specific height. It's the aiming of the headlights that should be adjusted.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 18 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]241670[/snapback]</div>

I think your right, why do we need laws at all.
    No seatbelts.
    No air bags.
    Heck, why do I have tail lights, I don't even use them.
    What about those stupid baby seats? We don't need them; throw them in the back of the pickup like we used to do. It's good enough for Grandma and the dog.

Works for me! :p

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Apr 18 2006, 04:56 PM) [snapback]241685[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Fla, its a requierment all school buses have seat belts..

theres some truth to this statement:
    "Ithink your right, why do we need laws at all."
    No seatbelts.
    No air bags.
    Heck, why do I have tail lights, I don't even use them. (well we need one stop light and one tail light)
    What about those stupid baby seats? We don't need them; throw them in the back of the pickup like we used to do. It's good enough for Grandma and the dog. (most of us rode around in cars with out them)

Works for me!

12. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin New Member

I agree... I try to keep the distance so that the 'spoiler' blocks the light. Sometimes it works too well and I forget they're there.

13. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 18 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]241774[/snapback]</div>
    I've never seen any seatbelts on a school bus except in the drivers seat, and the drivers don't even wear theirs.

14. kDB

kDB New Member

i think setting a standard range for headlights would be a good idea.

as for the bumpers, another good idea. if oyu haven't noticed, a few years ago there was a big issue about the bumper height of semi trailers. people would run into the back ofthe trailer, and keep going until the hit the tires, putting the bumper of the trailer through the windshield. most trailers now have lower bumpers.

bus seatbealts... i've only seen seatbelts in the driver seat, and the front seat on the passenger side. the rest are all considered rear seats, and seatbelts in rear seats are optional here (like a lot of other places). so since it's optional, and it would save money to exclude all those belts, i guess that's what they do.

15. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Apr 17 2006, 08:32 AM) [snapback]240901[/snapback]</div>
    There WERE strict standards for bumbers and headlights till SUV's became popular and the standards were repealed, same as CAFE standards. Guess who lead the good fight to repeal these sensible standards?

16. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Like I said in my earlier post, there ARE laws that dictate the maximum and minimum headlight heights. THese things must be overly broad to fit busses and trucks and so on.

When it comes to headlights it doesn'tmake sense to exmep semi trucks and punish SUV's. Headlights are headlights, and blind reagardless of what they are mounted on.

Also like I said, a Huge lifted truck and a lowered Civic can each be equally dangerous when it comes to blinding lights. I see MANY more riced out imports with excessively bright over-powered and ill-aimed headlights than I do lifted trucks. You may not, either because of locale or through selective vision. If you HATE SUV's and don't minc imports with bright lights, you won't notice the imports quite as much.