1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know what (!)48,66,95, ABS 42, VSC 45 mean? Useing the jumper meathod on the OBDII .

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    (!) 48 and 66 mean that the system needs initialization; recommend you visit your local Toyota dealer's service dept to have that done.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ask for the P3012 (?) freeze frame data while you are there. It will show the HV battery voltages and could help determine whether you have a bad module, bad connection, or bad HV battery ecu.

I don't know how or why some of these scan tools have been able to undo zero points.

1 person likes this.
  4. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    THANK YOU PATRICK & SEILERTS for hanging with me. Going to another dealer in the morning. From every thing i have learned, I feel i can now avoid a rapeing from the dealer! If it turnes out to be the battery, i will most likely use Reinvolt and install it myself. Does the ecu with the new battery need to be flashed or is it plug and go? Thanks again Signed,the only redneck in VA with a Prius I will report the outcome!

5. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And by the way dont use the AutoTap OBDII Diagnostic Scanner Model ATUSB!!!!!

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery ECU does not need to be flashed, and I do not even think that is possible, BTW.

1 person likes this.
  7. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    update !! Talked with the shop foreman, he personaly worked on the car . Did the inverter water pump recall , reset brake set points , oil change,and diagnosis all for $35!!!! remaining codes P3000,P3012 and freeze frame point to module 2. I tryed to tip him (not in public) he would not take the money! I guess i should change my user name to renewed trust. Quote from dealer was $2588.67 for battery $500 install. Who was it that had the modules for sale?

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seilerts I am confused (doesnt take much), I have ordered two modules from jeffd, while waiting i have had the car sitting for about three days with the cover off of the hv battery. I took voltage readings when i pulled the cover , I havent done any load test and the only equipment i have is a fluke multi meter . Money is the driving factor,wife not working (economy) ill spare you. Point is i know the solutions are to buy this and get this and i can fix everything! Here is the confusion,I came back and checked voltage again and noticed that the second module pair closest to the air duct end of the battery had the lowest reading , specificaly one module of the pair,so i got confused ,where is module 2 ,so i looked on the prius service manule page 05-672 there is a drawing,if your sitting in the back seat looking at the battery the drawing labels the very first -terminal gbb0 and then the next sense wire as vbb1 and so on . Would the ecu be computing from gbb0 to vbb1=say 15v then gbb0 to vbb2=30v and so on then doing the math so that when your using a scanner you see 15v on bb1 ,15v on bb2 and so on . if this is so than block 2 would be counting from the duct end ,and it just so happens that the termister is mounted directly over that module pair, that would possibly explain why i can drive 50 miles in the morning without any warnings , but when leaving work (99 deg.) within a few miles all warning come up! Am i reading this right or confusing everyone!

1 person likes this.
  10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sorry, I had it wrong. I checked the service manual and under P3030 they count blocks from the bus bar side going left to right (passenger to driver). So I think you have at least found the bad module. What is its voltage???

11. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    only 5/100 differance from the rest but completly stands out, most are 7.75v. Im hoping to replace the two modules buy some time and save for a reinvolt battery. If i had the money i would get the charger that i need and completly balance the whole pack,thanks again

12. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YEEEHAW!!!! prius is back on the road ! THANK YOU JEFFD!!! The 2 modules were waiting for me when i got home. The voltages of the 2 modules from jeffd were 7.76v,all mine read 7.72v, used the $3 resistor and in no time all matched perfect. Had the car ready for a test drive in 2 hours! Drove 21 miles on hilly curvey country road , 49 mpg, ac full blast, 6 blue bars steady! Will drive it to work ,102 miles round trip. WISH ME LUCK!!!!

13. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  14. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    182 miles with no lights !!!! I want to thank all who participated in my experiance, this forum is is a huge source of information , and if i can be of any help to anyone, i would love to pay it foreward ,if u want to try what i did ask questions , only time will tell but we are on to another phase of the PRIUS! Only lazyness will stop the Prius lol. The lights may come on tomorrow but i now know it can be fixed (cheeply)! Seilerts , Patrick, Jeffd dont stop the good work! I will stay posted success vs defeat,THANK YOU! By the way ,total out of pocket $70 and some change o and some blood sweat and tears!

15. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    First of all glad to know that you got it fixed and yes please keep us updated how it works out for you down the road. :)

Now a question when you said "5/100 difference" did you mean 0.05 V or 5% ?

16. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you wouldn't mind measuring the potential of the two modules and posting here in a month, that would be wonderful. HV battery failure mode is a keen source of interest for me. The tell-tale sign of a bad module is a dead cell, which would make the readings 1.2V less, but it can take time to get there. A good module will hold >7V for months, if not years. Your bad one was only 0.05V less, and it will be interesting to see if that divergence increases, or if you merely had a weak cell with high internal resistance, rather than a dead one.

17. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To o9 prius yes .05v as the pack sat the weak module began to drop faster in voltage than the others (all bus bars were still on),i may have been lucky but it showed its self and matched the p3012 code! Seilerts i will stay posted ,of the two modules i replaced they now measure 7.71v and 7.58,i did experiment with the 10ohm 10w resistor on the 7.72v module to see how long it took to drop to 7.71v. When using the resistor i had to drop the voltage .02v less than my target voltage and after a few it would settle at the target. jeffd did his homework that resistor works very controled!

18. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am considering building a charging unit that could charge and discharge all 28 modules individualy at the same time. Would be a good winter project but i have alot of learning to do but why stop now!!

19. no trust

no trust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hello again, the prius now has over 1000 miles with no problems. I did some experimenting with the 10ohm 10watt resistor to see if i could find the internal resistance of the modules i replaced. So here are the results , the module i marked as bad ,which was the 1 that showed the voltage drop has a noload voltage of 7.44v,w/resistor attached,the voltage at the resistor is 7.39v ,a difference of .05v. The amperage is 2.23a , so considering internal resistance with the resistor as a series circuit IR= .o5v x 2.23a .07ohms. the other modules standing v is 7.62v, with the same process i get 7.59v a difference of .03v , using the same math, an internal resistance of .12v. now i know there are other factors in finding true internal resistance but this tells me the bad module has an internal resistance of almost double the good module . Does this make sense or am i way off track? As a construction electrician it has been 20 years since i have really used electrical theory! And am learning the big difference from AC theory and DC theory!

20. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to figure out how you can measure resistance in volts :confused: