1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blinking air pressure light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MashinA, Jan 11, 2013.

1. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys im new here, I own a 07 prius and I have an issue. In the past my air pressure sensor has come on multiple times but usually when I put air in the tires it goes away. This time the sensor comes on, blinks for about 10-20 seconds and stays on solid. Ive checked all my tires plus the spare and they are all ok. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? One of my tires has a fixaflat plug in that seems to leak every few days so im gonna fix that and see if that might be the issue. Im out of warranty so im trying not to take it to the stealership for something minor like this. Any help is appreciated!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it would make sense to either permanently replace that plug or replace the tire first.

Once you are satisfied that all four tires are holding air and are inflated to your desired level, then reset the TPMS system (per your owner's manual) and see what happens.

3. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so I fix the plug in but the light still comes on and blinks for a minute.As per the manual that means that the system has malfunctioned. it says to take it to my Toyota dealer. my question is does that mean that the sensor is bad or could it be something else that could be fixed without buying new sensors?

4. MashinA

MashinA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ! Bump any suggestions what could be wrong?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The most likely problem is a failed tire pressure sensor, and you should visit your dealer to determine what the problem actually is.

6. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can also, for much less $ than the dealer charges, call around to your local tire shops. Almost all of them have the necessary scan tool nowadays, as the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) was made standard in vehicles a few years back.

I assume you've already read the owners manual and tried to reset the light with the button under the steering wheel?

If that doesnt work, my money is on the sensors in the wheels themselves. If those sensors are original, the batteries inside the sensors are 6 years old now and they usually only last 4-7 years on average anyways. The tire shop charged me $50 per tire installed and programmed, when my sensors went bad. The dealer wanted double that amount.