1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blinking MFD when lights are on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by wiluspyder, Aug 23, 2006.

1. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

Hi guys,

I was trying to do DRL (Daytime running lights) on 04 prius and after I was done and started the car I noticed that the MFD and the control buttons around it blink when the lights are on.
    Basically the screen will show dimmed images but then all of a sudden it will be very bright (daytime setting).

Also the dimmer is not very responsive. It seems set the brightnes at 2 levels only: dark or very bright.

Any ideas? Did I screw up something?

Thx :(

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm... I'm no mechanic, but my gut response would be, "Yes, yes you did."

What exactly did you "do" when you were trying to do DRL?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same question as Brandon. You're in Canada according to your info, the DRLs are standard there, what does "I was trying to do DRL" mean? Exactly what did you do and can you just undo it?

4. wiluspyder

wiluspyder New Member

The reason the car doesn't have DRLs is because it was imported from states.
    Just a background, we have a family business that rebuilts cars from salvage. We work on mamy toyota prius recently.

As for what I did, I connected a relay to position lights, ground signal (from light switch), ground, and + from another source but I must have've messed up (ie not connected the right wires) and from what I read in the repair manual the combination meter assembly (what displays the mileage, speed, warning lights) might be gone!! I messed up big time I guess.
    Question, if I change that combination meter assembly will my mileage be still reported correctly or will it assume the mileage of the car that the used combination meter assembly came from?

I know, I shouldn't have been doing this myself as I have little knowledge as far as electronics.

Anyway, I have another meter assembly on hand but I'm just worried about not the actual mileage being displayed once I change it.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the only place that can set mileage on those odometers is the factory, so by switching them out you'd have an incorrect odo. and from what i understand, toyota canada doesn't preprogram miles into their replacement odo's from the factory, so you have to fill out some statement in the owner's manual anyway.