1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blinking reverse indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by swepri, Sep 7, 2004.

1. swepri

swepri New Member

Since I can't turn off the beeping (europe) when in reverse I have to learn to live with it. But yesterday I noticed that the little frame around the R is blinking everytime it beeps.

It can't remember if the indicator was solid or blinking in the two Prii I have driven before.

Anyone else seen this?

/Paj

2. Batavier

Batavier Member

I usually look over my shoulder when backing up... but I'll have a look when I drive home tonight. :)

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you sure the European version does not allow you to cancel the reverse beep? It is rather a complicated procedure. Took me about 4 tries, and others have reported having to try several times as well.

4. swepri

swepri New Member

I've had no success, but have only tried it once. In the German tech manual there is no procedure for disabling it, while the procedure for disabling seat belt alarm is described in detail. And a lot of other customizable parameters are listed. The reverse beep is not mentioned at all :cry:

I'll give it a new try when I remember it. That's the hard part since there is a 20 meter exitement field around the Prius. Once inside the field, the only thing you wanna do is to drive :lol: .

/Paj

5. Batavier

Batavier Member

We've discussed this on the European forums and even though people are able to disable the beep for the seat belts (like I did), the procedure doesn't seem to work for the reverse beep.

I know I've tried and tried again. Following every procedure given by various internet sites (including this one). Maybe I'll have to ask the dealer to cut a wire somewhere to get rid of the sound, it's pretty annoying.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The seatbelt beeper in my prior car was SO annoying, I disabled it. I always put on the belt after I start the car, I didn't need a reminder. I found the beeper under the dash, behind the glovebox. It was a simple push connecter, the kind you buy at the hardware store and crimp on. I pulled it off the beeper and left the wire hanging for 9 years, until I sold the car. :)

If you can get someone to sit in the driver's seat and hold the car in reverse you can find the beeper thing. Maybe it will be easy to disconnect.

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm going to take a wild guess: the beeping in the Prius probably comes through the speakers, or if not, there is one beeper for everything that requires a beep, including some important warnings. They'll all be controlled by the computer, so there'll be no simple wire to cut. If Toyota has decided not to let you cancel the reverse beeper, you're probably stuck with it.

The "Your door is not locked" beep has twice saved me from walking away from my car while it was in Ready mode and the doors not locked!

8. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hadn't thought of that. The car I referenced was an '86 Mazda, less fancy electronic gadgetry way back then.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I checked today. The frame around the R does blink when I have the car in reverse. I disabled the reverse beep long ago. I have not disabled the seatbelt beep because I buckle up before I do anything else, and I do want to be reminded if I ever forget.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The reverse beep (and other beeps, including idiot light beeps) come from a "buzzer" under the dash.

11. swepri

swepri New Member

Thanks Daniel. At least I don't have to worry about the blinking then.

/Paj

12. Batavier

Batavier Member

Ah, too bad, but it was to be expected. You're right Daniel, if Toyota wants me to have a beep when the car is in reverse, I'll have to live with it. :(

Maybe I'll have push the car out of its parking space... :D

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just pretend you have a really crummy old car in which reverse gear does not work. Always park such that you only need to drive forward. Of course that can make for some long walks to the destination and back to the car once you find just the right place to park :)

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It also means you'd have to put a second door on the back of your garage, so you could drive forward in, and forward out.