1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzard Pearl color variation vs. other Toyota / Lexus models, years?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 91MR2turbo, May 24, 2010.

1. 91MR2turbo

91MR2turbo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does anyone know if blizzard pearl (070) varies between different Toyota and Lexus models and years? I realize that paint batches can vary, also that even on the same car the plastic and metal parts can look subtly different, and especially with metallic finishes how curvature and shading can affect tone. But I was wondering more about something consistent for a specific model and year.

I just installed some bumper plugs from http://www.bumperplugs.com. Good product, available in Toyota / Lexus 070. However these have a slightly "warmer" / yellower undertone than my car. Within the acceptable range for a small part like this, but not an exact match.

What's also interesting to me is that before I bought my car, the dealer had a 2010 Prius and a 2010 Avalon both in blizzard pearl in the showroom, side-by-side. The Avalon was distinctly warmer. However all of the Priuses I've seen on the lot look pretty consistent to me.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me :) I'd think this could be more of a problem as folks start having body panels painted on these cars.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've heard some people describe Blizzard Pearl as a bit on the yellow side, but all the BP Prius I've seen look gray to me, with no hint of yellow.

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Pearl colors are traditionally very very difficult to match. This is due mostly to what's called "flop" -- the direction the particles which create the pearl effect are aligned. A good example of this is demonstrated when comparing the paint on the bumpers and door handles to the rest of the vehicle. Some variations will be evident, depending on the view angle.