1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzard pearl popular?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Engelz, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Engelz

Engelz Delaware member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [FONT=&quot]I have a new 2010 Prius “Blizzard Pearlâ€. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]White apparently is most popular Prius color and often leads as top choice with many other makes and models, too. Why? Doesn’t show dirt, more easily hides scratches, appears to reflect heat?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Any other advantages? Looking to feel better about tacked on $220 charge for what appears nothing especially special.[/FONT]

2. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks better what more do you want:D

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I like my Blizzard Pearl. I can't stand white, but this has some depth and personality to it.

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I too purchased a Blizzard Pearl, initially, because it was the first Prius V that was available at my dealership, but once I saw the color in person I fell in love with it.

If you think that you are paying $220 for nothing, park your baby next to any other 'white' car out there, and walk around the cars and take a look.

What you will see is that for only $220, Toyota added a third layer of paint to the process, adding depth and character to the look and finish of the car.

Then try to price what other car makers get for their 'special' paint color, and you will see that they get between $495 and $899 for a similar 3 step paint. Overall, I think that Toyota does a great keeping some of these costs low. Try to find any shop that will price a 3 coat paint for only $220 more than they charge for a 2 coat paint job. I doubt that even "Earl Schieb"

1 person likes this.
  5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota made a lot of them, up to now ALL prius sold regardless. Blizzard pearl was not my first choice, but it is what was available. It's growing on me.

6. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I got the white for all of the reasons you noted above, and in addition:

(1) IMO, there is nothing sharper looking than a light-colored vehicle (e.g., silver or white) with darkened/tinted windows. That's why you will see nearly EVERY car ad today features a light-colored vehicle with tinted windows. All the first Prius Gen III ads were this way.

(2) I also think that white helps the car stand out at dusk/dawn, or on dark/cloudy days. In that regard, white is (also) a safety feature. years back studies were done to try and assess which color was safest for school buses. Yellow was found to be best...but I suspect that any color that stands out from the background (ie trees/foliage and the road), like white, are also colors that provide a bit of safety edge.

The only downside I've noticed so far is that bugs show up more on white, than they did on my black car. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. lawboy

lawboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I liked the idea of reflecting heat and the fact that it looks really cool under full sun or street lights. For me, it was a toss up between blizzard pearl and metallic silver, so I told the dealer to get me whichever of those two colors came in first.

1 person likes this.
  8. john burns

john burns New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Naw,....... what you guys need is Sandy Beach Metallic with a solar roof package and tinted windows

Really look sharp and you won't loose in the snow

:cheer2:

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Silver used to be the most popular color for the same reason. With Model Ts, black was the most popular.

Tom

10. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    Definitely light color is better in terms of safety. I originally considered Blizzaard Pearl until we saw a Sandy Beach in a local lot. Both my wife and I fell in love with the earthy color, which is more in tune with the environmental theme. Besides, we would like our car to be a little distinctive in the crowd. So we ordered a Sandy Beach. This decision delayed our ownership for 2.5 months because no dealer here had a V/ATP in this color. We had to drive to NJ to get one finally.

In the survey by this site, only 4% people have Sandy Beach, out of about 1000 Prius owners. I bet my Sandy V/ATP is so rare that there shouldn't be more than 2 on the DC roads in any given day (unless someone at this forum correct me).:cheer2:

11. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Was thinking the other day that I've completely lost count of all the 10s I've seen on the roads now - however I've only seen ONE Blizzard Pearl. Is it because here in New England anything named Blizzard has a bad connotation? Or white isn't quite so safe six months out of the year?? :D

Edit - how well would "Hurricane Gray" sell in the south or "Wildfire Red" sell in California?

12. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I currently have silver metalic and still love it. However, I LOVE blizzard pearl. It looks classy and you don't see too many around. The only issue I see is color matching in the event of body work that possibly may be needed.

13. RL Prius

RL Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love my Blizzard Pearl. Tinted my windows the same week I got it!

14. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Captain Planet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only other Gen III I have come across here in SC was Sandy Beach Metallic.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're paying for a 3-coat premium paint (and look at the amount of sheen there is on your white paint compared to a standard flat white).

Check the PriusChat thread on the colours. We have a poll of colours and packages based on PriusChat members of course.

16. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought that the darker colors would be best for a hybrid (absorbing heat to warm up the engine faster)? Or is this a misconception?

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP. You already own a Blizzard White? Then just enjoy it. All the reasons you site are often reasons people site for chosing white.

$220 extra is nothing to worry about. You kind of sound like you aren't too high on it to start with, calling it something that "appears nothing especially special"?

I mean, color choice is a very personal thing with people. Degree's of attached importance vary from individual to individual. I hesitate to offer an opinion about a color choice because it is so personal.

White does have some tangible advantages. I'm not a huge fan of Blizzard White, BUT you either like it or don't. It if makes you feel any better the charge wasn't just "tacked on", it is a more labor intensive process for the metallic white.

18. neilz

neilz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's the speckles that make the white different from the other whites.
    My mechanic said that the Blizzard Pearl would be a hard color to match if the car needed body work. Any comments on this?

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A neighbor backed his wife's blizzard pearl Lexus into an object, resulting in paint damage. It was more expensive to repaint than if it hadn't had the "Pearl" effect. This was told to him by the body/paint shop guy.

So yes, it is more difficult to get it to match, and you will have to pay for that if body work/repainting the car is required.

20. maomao

maomao New Member

Model:
    V
    It's depending on the climate. If it's too hot, then you need to run AC more, which uses more fuel.