1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blizzard White is now covered for peeling paint on the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Camfab, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    If your Blizzard White paint is peeling, as of Dec '22, it likely falls under an extended factory warranty program. My '14 was approved for a re-paint.

douglasjre, bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Wheelbird

Wheelbird New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My 2010's blizzard pearl is peeling badly. Dealer says process is as follows: Bring car in, dealer will power wash car to get off as much peeling paint as possible, and will determine which panels need to be repainted. I will then be on the list. Main problem, backlog is claimed by dealer to be 12 months. Car may not be alive in 12 months. I may not be alive. What if I want to sell in the meantime and can't because of paint issue? What if new areas start to peel after post-powerwash assessment has been done?

It seems like Toyota, being faced with a class-action lawsuit, approved the recall, but they are making it very difficult to actually get it done. Does anyone have any ideas on how to speed up this process?

3. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a different dealer, not a big deal.

Doug McC likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hopefully:

1. what they determine doesn’t need painting will not peel, say 6 months later. I’m sceptical.

2. If they do a partial repaint, the shop they employ will use blend techniques, to ensure no obvious transitions.

This is a black eye for them, both the paint problem and their foot dragging.

5. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My PHEV is Blizzard Pearl but I didnt see any peeling or losing color so far. But in the past, I did get both front and back bumpers painted. Do I still need to take the car to the dealer to get it verified for this issue? Thank you.

6. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In San Diego, one Toyota service department told me to take my Blizzard Pearl White 2012 Prius Plug-in to either of only two Toyota dealers in town with their own body shops, claiming that Toyota wouldn’t provide me with a loaner car if I were to go elsewhere. So I went to one and they approved me to go on their waitlist for repainting the two passenger doors. It’ll be a 6 to 8 month wait. Apparently the white paint peeling issue on various other Toyota models has been going on for quite a long time, and the queue was already long before Toyota got around to notifying me.

7. From13to50

From13to50 1st time, short time, owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not so fast…. Apparently, if you tried to paint the areas where the paint came off after years of complaining to Toyota and them saying too bad, they won’t cover it. It’s BS. So, Toyota has a manufacturing defect, says too bad, so you paint over the spots to keep your car from rusting, then years later Toyota changes its mind, it’s too bad for you. I bet they’d make an excuse if I brought it in unpainted and rusted. Has anyone heard of a pending class-action on this?

douglasjre likes this.
  8. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went to Toyota San Diego (one of the dealerships with their own body shop) due to my 2010 blizzard pearl white Prius paint peeling issue. My car is eligible for the "ZKG" repaint program and I should expect for their call a year from now.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why is that? Or just skepticism?

10. CivicSky

CivicSky Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The estimator from the dealership told me they have a long waiting list of Super White and Blizzard Pearl White vehicles. They can work on 3 vehicles from ZKG recall at a time in the shop and each takes about a week to finish.
    No, I wasn't being skeptical. I may have to wait for a year before my turn.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The blizzard pearl paint on my 2012 Prius Plug-in's two passenger doors started peeling in January, 2023, and I got my ZKG notice in February, 2023. So I immediately went to my local San Diego Toyota dealer and got my name on their waitlist, which I was told was 7-8 months long. It ended up taking 11 months for my name to rise to the top. I dropped off my Prius at their body shop on January 2nd, 2024, and Toyota provided me a rental car at their expense. I picked up my Prius yesterday, and I'm extremely pleased with the work they did. The paint looks great, and the dealer also fixed a few scratches elsewhere on the car. For me, it was definitely worth the almost year-long wait.

douglasjre and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    PPG paint on Toy and Hyundai and others is the prob, not the auto mfg

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    douglasjre likes this.
  14. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  15. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Dealer says my white 2010 is covered till June 13th 2025

16. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What do you think of the chances they can change my color from blizzard white to Pearl? Under the warranty?