1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bloated pricing

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jelloslug, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I took a look at the new allocations of Priuses that my dealer got in today and almost every one of them was a Package 2 with $5000 worth of leather, 17" wheels, and every overpriced port installed option that they could tack on. It obvious that Priuses are hot but that is ridiculous. No wonder why they cannot keep any Yarises on the lot....

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1st off, why do you think they do that? 2nd, whats wrong with it?

3. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1)Duh
    2)That will quickly turn off people that want a $24k car.

I'm sure that there are plenty of suckers that will jump all over that though.

4. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm confused. Package 2 doesn't come with leather. You have to get the highest level (package #6 on an '08) to get leather:

Toyota Prius - 2008 Options and Packages

Are you stating that a dealer installed leather (and other options?) on all their package 2 Prii?

... Brad

5. mcsenerd

mcsenerd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I got one word for Toyota to learn about... (They've avoided it thus far in the US...but I think their luck's about to run out with a bunch of folks...) BACKLASH I think they're about to get up close and personal with it...

6. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1) not a correct answer
    2)correct

suckers? or the reason for the correct answer to question 1

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know I'm one, I'm going to be battling myself on another Toyota, and it has nothing to do with the car, but the dealer and car buying experience, it was the worst experience buying a car I have ever had, and that was at 5 different dealers, in 3 cities.

8. MsDaisy

MsDaisy Goddess of Green-land

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Leather seats can be installed as a separate option, at least with SET. I'm seen plenty of leather seats listed as a separate option with a package 5 for $1499.

9. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes they do....because they can.

MSRPBase$22,875Options$6,262Manuf, Delv, Proc & Hndlg$715Subtotal$29,852Dealer Fees$467Total$30,319

Package #2 Includes: Vehicle Stability-HGAT $575
    • Control

• Backup Camera

• Smart Key System;

• AM/FM CD w/6 Speakers

• Aux Audio Input Miniplug

• and MP3/WMA Playback Capability

Blueconnect Hands Free Phone System-BT10 $299 Window Tint UV Rating of 98.5%-99%-TW50 $275 Spyder Style Cargo Net-PC90 $99 Leather Faced Seats w/Side Airbag-LA90 $1,499 Electrochromic Mirror w/Homelink-CM50 $325 17" EFPC Wheel w/Pirelli Tires-WB70 $1,649 Splashguards-MG10 $129 Carpet Mats And Trunk Mat-PV50 $225 Rear bumper protector-BP30 $129 50 State Emissions-FEAT $0 Remote Security System-QS90 $325 Southeast Toyota Distributor Plus-FP50 $0
    • Final Quality Inspection

• Certified Technician 46 Point

• Picture Asset Program

HZAT - Includes Cruise Control,-HZAT $0
    • Heated Outside Mirrors

• 15 inch Alloy Wheels Pockets

• Seatback Pockets

• The price of this option is included within the base of the vehicle MSRP
    ToyoGuard Plus Protection Group-XY70 $699

10. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wow .... I guess since it's a seller's market in terms of the Prius, Toyota is going to maximize its profits on options! :eek:

... Brad

11. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They are Port Installed Options. The dealer has nothing to do with it. It's even listed on the window sticker (not an addendum sticker).

12. chajones

chajones Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think we are asking the wrong question. The question is not, "Why is Toyota doing this?" but rather, why haven't other car companies followed suit? Because they do not have the product. I think the reason that GM, Ford, Chrylser, etc. don't have the product is that their corporate executive philosophy is to maximize profits today (after all, I probably won't be the CEO in a year anyway) at the expense of future product development. That explains why we have Hummers and SUVs. Most car manufacturerers defend themselves by saying they are only providing what the customer wants, but the public desires are fickle. It seems that only Toyota, and to a lesser extent Honda, can anticipate consumer demand with enough lead time to get a product to market. When only one manufacturer has the goods, there is no competition and the price is whatever they want it to be.

13. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well considering that whoever is responsible for this is only doing it on the Prius and not all the other vehicles it's obvious that it's only because of the popularity. Also, 3 months ago when Priuses were sitting on the lots they were not chocked full of extra stuff.

14. spidey

spidey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I heard today that every prius out of southeast toyota is loaded with options, I dont mind people making money in demand however some of us are looking for a car in need.

15. echase

echase New Member

Every dealer I have spoken to has been willing to remove those options for vehicles that are not yet in port. My favorite is "Toyoguard" can anyone tell me why I should pay $699 fro scotch guard and vin etching?

16. Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Well not all of them. I just got a black package #2 and that was IT. nothing more, not even toyoguard or floormats. I went to Autozone and bought floor mats for $40 and they look great.

17. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome to our free society! Too bad you are disappointed in the price but as discussed in many other posts when a shortage of a product occurs, sellers will usually raise the price accordingly to cool demand until supply can catch with demand. Unlike the society you wish (or are from) our government, in most instances, cannot dictate what a seller can charge for HIS products.

Zimbabwe, as I understand, has an excellent system in place where the government fixes nearly all prices and in most instances does not allow sellers to raise prices (hence there is nothing to sell!, that makes it real easy for everyone). I am sure you could pick up as many Prius's as you wish at MSRP (or maybe at half price if the Zimbabwean government dictates!).

If you do not like the price, you can (A) purchase another product at a better price, (B) purchase the product at wholesale and go through the hassle and trouble of marketing the product and then sell it for whatever price you wish, (C) manufacture the product yourself.

See, that was easy.

Rick
    #4 2006 through careful and diligent shopping purchased at MSRP!

18. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius is a good value for $24K. Stay away if it is much higher than that.

19. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I got my VIN my dealer sent me all the info including about $9K worth of options. I told her I didn't want all the options, she said no problem and took them all off. I got the car last night...pkg 2 +floor mats (which I know are overpriced but I wanted them). If you've been on a wait list and a dealer offers you a car laden with options, tell them you don't want them. If they refuse to take them off, don't buy the car.

20. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Two years ago Liberty was selling cars with PIO while Cherry Hill was not so I bought from Cherry Hill. "Next time" I'll shop around again but I'm not about to pay for extra crap or negotiate DOWN to MSRP. Dealer philosophies do change over time. Some do become less sleazy.