1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block heat or not, synthetic oil or not

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by daredon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. daredon

daredon Junior Member

I will be taking delivery of a 2007 Prius Touring next week and would like some advise.
    My conditions are as follows: 1) Live in Wisconsin. 2) Drive 3 miles twice a day on average.
    Questions: 1) Should I have a block heater installed and would doing so increase gas efficiency? What are the OEM types?
    2) Would it be prudent to switch the oil to that of a synthetic type from the get go?

2. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madison @ Aug 20 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]499117[/snapback]</div>
    I can't comment on the oil type, but I would say using an EBH would definitely be advised. During the time of your commute your engine won't have time to heat up, so using the EBH will afford your better gas mileage during the short commute.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree with Tek about the EBH, especially given your short trips and climate. Many of us have bought ours from www.metrotpn.com. It is an OEM heater sold by Toyota Canada.

As far as the oil goes, I don't have firm scientific data, but there are anecdotal reports of a slight improvement in fuel mileage with synthetic. I switched at 5K miles.

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think the EBH is a no-brainer given your geographic location.

In terms of oil, synthetic is superior. However, it is also more expensive and may have marginal benefits when changed at the 5K intervals specified by Toyota. I recommend synthetic and use Mobil 1 5W30 along with a Mobil 1 filter and change my oil every 5K.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madison @ Aug 20 2007, 10:55 AM) [snapback]499117[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. You definitely will benefit from the EBH. Blocking the grill and increasing the tp to at least 42/40 may help a bit. If this is all you drive you may not notice, but one is cheap and the other is free.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I drove such a short distance I wouldn't have even considered a Prius.
    You will be lucky to reduce your fuel bill by $300 per year over that of a camry or similar. Maybe an electric assist bicycle would have been a wise investment.

Good luck with it though, I'm happy with mine, hope you are with yours.
    EBH is a must have or the engine will never get warm.

On the topic of synthetic oil, run the car for at least 5000 miles to run it in before switching to synthetic to allow proper running in.

7. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]499462[/snapback]</div>
    This is not needed. Many new vehicles come with synthetic from the factory.

8. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I try to be modern but am a little old school on this one. I'm a mechanic and understand all the stuff about finer tolerances etc but still believe that synth oil is best left till after running in. Just my opinion.
    Of course that 5000 miles will take 2.25+ years to cover.
    I'd also take the car for a few long drives in the hills to warm it up at least once in it's life.

9. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 20 2007, 07:35 PM) [snapback]499462[/snapback]</div>
    You make the mistake of assuming that saving money on fuel is the only reason anyone has for purchasing a Prius.

On the other hand, if the original poster decided to purchase the Prius exclusively for the fuel savings they will likely be disappointed under the listed driving conditions.

10. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're right I made that assumption. You made the mistake of assuming it was a mistake. I also said I wouldn't have, didn't say the original poster shouldn't have, I made a suggestion that was my opinion and I hope no one thought I was putting anyone down for buying a great car. Perhaps you would like to calculate the green house gas reduction then how may trees could have been planted for the savings in buying a Camry? Both cars look great.

I really hope that wasn't the motivation, every time someone expresses disapointment in their fuel consumption the value of used Prius drop a little bit.

I wish Toyota would make a small, safe, comfortable plug in series hybrid for people doing short journeys. One with a plug in range of several miles and a constant speed petrol or low emission diesel generator to maintain the charge for the occasional longer trip. If fuel cells ever work out a simple conversion to fuel cell series hybrid.