1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater Choosing and Using

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CMUCasey, Nov 15, 2007.

1. CMUCasey

CMUCasey New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    By reading a number of posts, I have decided I want to add a block heater to my 05 this winter. How do I choose one, are there more than one kind, brand, and most important of all, how do I install and use one? Thanks The Pepboys clerk said all I need is a dipstick heater, whatever that is.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMUCasey @ Nov 15 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]539944[/snapback]</div>
    There is a 'bend' in the dipstick tube so a rigid dipstick heater will not fit.

Search about and I would recommend looking at Hobbit's web page that describes the heater and how to put it in.

Bob Wilson

3. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilson4web @ Nov 15 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]540020[/snapback]</div>
    Even if you found a dip-stick oil heater, you might want to reconsider because while they will keep oil warm if it's warm when you install the heater, they will not heat cold oil except for a small area surrounding the dip-stick heater. If you choose to get an EBH (Electric Block Heater) from Toyota, here is the link describing the installation. Thanks to those who went before us and compiled this information because it made the installation much easier for me.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36066&hl=EBH

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dipstick heaters are inexpensive and easy to use, but "gunk" tends to build up on the dip stick. Block heater is a much better choice.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMUCasey @ Nov 15 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]539944[/snapback]</div>
    You only have one choice, the heater that comes from Toyota. If you're convenient to a Canadian Toyota dealer, it would be a quick and easy install. There are numerous threads on this forum about the EBH install, the following is long but detailed

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11176&hl=

The Prius engine heater inserts into a cast hole in the aluminum engine block. You may be familiar with the frost plug heaters that actually warmed the coolant. The Prius EBH does not work that way

I would generally avoid dipstick oil heaters, unless used in conjunction with the EBH. A dipstick heater by itself tends to break down cheap motor oil, and create condensation in the motor.

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be interesting if they made a heater for the coolant thermos.... Heat that sucker to 80c :)

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Nov 17 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]541110[/snapback]</div>
    Actually that would be a VERY good idea! As the thermos is insulated, it would be very easy to keep it toasty warm with a very small electric heater

I would love to figure out a way of using a circulating tank-style heater on the Prius. With the electric coolant pump and 3-way valves, the plumbing would be a nightmare

I use this heater on my tractor and my '84 Ford truck at the hobby farm. I use the 1,500 watt model on both machines, and they get the block toasty warm in less than two hours, even at -40

Attached Files:

8. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been thinking... but how much insulation is around the coolant thermos? I wonder if anyone has tried upgrading the heat retention ability of it by wrapping it in fiberglass insulation or equivalent.