1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater Group Buy

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by FireEngineer, Jan 10, 2007.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Danny is getting a Block Heater Group Buy going from Jesse Wright at Metro Toyota. If you would like to get one but are worried about installation, I will install it for free. Install on 04-05 about 30 minutes, 06-07 about 15 minutes longer (really it's the cord routing that takes longer). I've done 12 already so I'm looking to add some more notches to by toolbox. Can be done in your garage or driveway (or parking lot). Let me know.

Wayne

2. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jan 10 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]373566[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne,

I'm interested, but is this one of those mods that voids the warrenty?--Scott

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Will you come to the East Coast to install it? :)

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Jan 10 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]373569[/snapback]</div>
    No, unless your dealer was trying to be a complete knob. If you are not familiar with this, it's basically a cylindrical heating element that plugs into a hole in the engine block. A cord plugs into it and the AC plug comes out through your grill or whereever you'd want to route it. BTW, the one I got from Metro was a Toyota of Canada part.

5. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jan 10 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]373573[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure we could figure it out, Jim. But it would be easier if Wayne came and installed them for us.

6. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Wayne did mine and my dads... Finding that hole is a PITA. I routed the cord before hand and had it in... the wrong hole, thankfully Wayne got it right.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jan 10 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]373573[/snapback]</div>
    If you were in the Raleigh/Durham area, I'd help you out.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

MegansPrius-As Beryl Octet stated it will not void your warranty. It is a Toyota part, standard in some Canadian Prius.

JimboK and Skwyre7-Don't tempt me, some friends live in Springfield, VA and I have some long weekends coming up. But I am known for traveling long distances for less!

Wayne

9. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wayne @ Jan 10 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]373631[/snapback]</div>
    Tempting away ... :lol:

10. thefortunes

thefortunes New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wayne,

I am already on Danny's post as wanting one.

I really appreciate your offer - I am in Wisconsin, so I'm sure we can work something out (the sooner the better - it's COLD here today).

Thanks.

11. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wayne - seems like a great idea, but my local dealer said there is no Toyota part that is a block heater for a 2007 Touring - so is he confused or what? I've been wishing I had one these last few cold days.

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ Jan 23 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]379678[/snapback]</div>
    It's probably not in the dealer's catalog, but the one I ordered through Metro in Cleveland came from Toyota of Canada. It fits a lot of Toyota cars in addition to the Prius, RAV4's for example.

13. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jan 10 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]373566[/snapback]</div>
    God, I would SOOOOooo love one. Not to say I desperately need one. (Remember: I didn't say that! Or is it: ""FORGET I just said that"![?])

Does a house or at least a place to plug it in come with one? I know you're the bomb, FireEngineer, when it comes to installing it. We, in Chicagoland, all know you'd give your last drop of (frozen) blood (on a #$@!! day in Chi-town to install it) to do so.

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Grandma Judy,

It is a Toyota part, just from Canada as Beryl Octet stated, although they are available from dealers in Alaska and certain northern states.

Starfall,

Just keep scanning the Sunday paper ads for those 1,000 foot extension cords.

Everyone,

When you receive your block heater and need help with the install just PM me or post here. I'm quite willing to travel to you, if it's a weekend distance doesn't really matter. Installed in garages, driveways, curbside and parking lots. And if you let me know I can bring material to block your grill to keep all that heat inside where it belongs.

Wayne