1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Mar 3, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I went to the dealer to have my block heater installed. It doesn't seem to be heating the car. I turn on the heat in the morning and it is cold air. Not till later does it get hot. He tech at the dealer said he had not seen one before. What pitfalls are there? Is it not in all the way? Also can anyone scan a copy of their directons they got with it? I seem to have misplaced it.

Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible they did not get the core to snap/lock into place and that it's fallen out.
    It's possible they did not get the cord plugged into the heater core sufficiently to make a connection.
    It's possible the core is bad (probably the least likely)
    It's possible they didn't use the thermal lubricant (but you should still get some heating I'd think).
    It's possible you have a short in the power cord.

Have you put your hand on the ICE after having the heater plugged in for a time?

The instructions really won't help you, there's not much to them. If you don't want to go back to the dealer to have them trouble shoot then you need to do it. Crawl underneath and look for the orange plug that goes into the heater core. Make sure it's not just dangling loose. If it is plug it into the core which you'll find the trickiest part. If it looks to be plugged in get your hadn up there anyway and push/press and make sure it's seated. While you're at it make sure the core is seated properly. It should be securely snapped into place.

If you look at the Long Engine Block Heater Thread you'll see pictures that will help you orient yourself under there.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you have a multimeter just use the ohm's setting and check the prongs on the cord the two flat blades should have about 350 ohms across then and no reading from either blade to the ground pin. If no reading then the block heater is open circuit or the cord isn't plugged in properly on the heater. If you plug it in over night in the morning if you put your hand on any part of the exposed engine block it should feel warm to hot. Also there will be no instant heat from the heater that will take a few moments to start happening depending on the OAT as the water pump has to move all the cold coolant from the core.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Um, last fall when I checked my cord plug before the cool weather, my Fluke indicated around 35 ohms. For a resistance load, power in watts is:

P = V^2 / R

If you want to use an RMS-corrected value like 117, that's fine for V. Most folks will use values from 115-120 and it will have little effect.

P = 117^2 / 35 = approx. 391 watts. About 3.4 amps.

If you use a value of 350 ohms:

p = 117^2 / 350 = approx. 39 watts. About 0.33 amps.

Note that when you measure resistance at the plug, you're also including the resistance of the cordset as well.

I would recommend the original poster obtain/borrow a clamp-jaw ammeter, the basic ones will measure current, the better ones can determine power, either "corrected" power or not.

jay

5. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only way that I knew it was working was by actually putting my face near the tank with pink fluid. I could feel the warmth on my face. The block only seemed to get as warm as about 50-60 degrees, that's just my guestimate.

The block heater on my Sienna really warms things up, it's a big heating element and is contact directly with the radiator fluid. The cooling hose near the top of the engine is very warm to touch and hot air is coming out of the vents in 2 minutes. I wonder if since the system in the Prius is different, it doesn't warm the cabin air as quickly?

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The EBH will warm the ICE to ~130-140 degrees (depending upon how long it's plugged in and OAT. I can feel the heat through the lower front grill when it's warm.

Average draw for the EBH using the Kill-a-watt meter is about 420 Watts.

Haven't measured the ohms.

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is a very good point you bring up.

Remember the Prius heater, also the one used in the Echo here, is *not* an immersion coolant heater. It fits into a hole in the block, is smeared with a thermal transfer grease, and heats the aluminum block.

I'm sure it works, but an immersion coolant heater works so much better. Even a frost plug heater.

My old 1984 Ford F-150 at the hobby farm has a Temro 1,000 watt circulation coolant heater plumbed into the heater hose. It doesn't matter if I have it parked in my insulated detached garage or the old barn, even at -40 after being plugged in for an hour the block is *very* warm.

You start it and get instant hot air out the heater.

When I use the EBH at my hobby farm, my Prius warms up *much* faster. If I don't use the EBH, in temps of -25 C I can slowly drive the 4.5 km sideroad to the highway, and there is barely any heat coming out. After a 3-4 hour plug in, I get plenty of hot air by the time I get to the highway.

Also, I speak from experience here, you *need* a winter front especially in temps of -20 C and colder. The motor doesn't produce much waste heat, so at the very least you will freeze your little pinkies off in city driving. Search the many humorous posts I made last winter on *that* topic.

With the lower grille and two upper slits blocked off, I have plenty of heat and have a gained approx 16 MPG overall. Last winter at -35 C and colder, I averaged 9.8 l/100km. This winter at -30 (Winter front, Mobil 1 0W-20) I averaged 6.4 l/100km.

8. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've measured mine and can verify the 3.4 amps number for a working heater. My engine is around body temperature in a cold (approx 32 F) garage after 3 hours or so. It doesn't seem to get any hotter if on all night. I use a timer that comes on about 2.5 hours before I leave for work. I also put a large cardboard sign on my windshield telling me to unplug the heater so I don't try to back out with the extension cord still plugged in.

- Tom

- Tom

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tom:

It's quite common around here to see cars putting down the street with an extension cord whipping behind, like a skinny, angry, yellow snake.

These cars are usually driven by little old ladies, and are oblivious to pedestrians yelling "HEY LADY! YOUR EXTENSION CORD IS STILL PLUGGED IN!"

jay

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got this little yellow foam 'noodle' (think swimming pool noodle, but 1/2" diameter and about 2' long) that I try to remember to slid into the door handle so that I can't even open the door to get in without realizing I'm plugged in.

Unfortunately I forget to use that about 50% of the time and have on at least 5 occasions backed out and unplugged. This has, twice now, resulted in damage to the cord for the EBH necessitating a troublesome repair (had to harvest a 3 pronged cord from an old computer monitor to replace the shorting old one).

11. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is a lot of good information in the thread called "So I figured out how to install my block heater" including a picture of the instructions for installation (page 14).

I have never driven away with mine plugged in. I wrap the extension cord around my outside rear view mirror where I can't miss it when I get into the car.

Allan de

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

your right I was running on no coffee when I replied to the OP

13. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Great thanks.
    I'm taking this thread to the dealer today.

14. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My estimate of 50-60 was based on just touching the top of the engine block with my fingers. When I still wasn't sure, I took a bit of snow and dropped it on the spot next to a row of 4 black plastic plugs and it melted...that was on a day that was -10 degrees.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dr Fusco:

Ah, but is that Corrected Power Factor to RMS or not?

:blink:

Just kidding big guy. My condo neighbors have another wine sampler going on and I'm feeling a bit ... silly ... at the moment.

j

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    E:

Hmmm, around here it's usually little old ladies that do that.

Must be the wine. Better snooze.

j

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Hehehehe it's so rare I catch you I just had to jump at the chance. Feel free to retaliate, I've been sampling wine for the past hour and am feeling no pain at the moment.

jay

18. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Allan, that's not a bad idea except I have visions of tearing off my rear view mirror because I am dumb enough to miss it especially at 5 AM when I leave for work. I sure hope that never happens to you.

- Tom

19. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tom - Thanks for the concern - I figure if I can't see the wire I'm probably not safe to drive. Its big, ugly and yellow.

Allan de