1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater SMOKIN'!! (PICS)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tballx, Jul 22, 2007.

1. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ok so I order the block heater and decide to install it today. It was pretty simple to find the insertion hole thanks to all the good information on this board. I kept listening for the telltale "click" at the point of insertion however none would come. I am able however to see the hole clearly and remove and reinsert the heater several times, I also feel around in the area for a groove that would allow for the clip to lock in. There is none. The clip is rotated to the back of the car though so that it does slide over the entrance to the hole however, I cannot get the heater to sit completely flush. Notice the gap between the top of the heater and the insertion hole.

[​IMG]

Try as I might, I can't push the heater in any farther. I've tried twisting it a full 180 degrees however at no point can I completely insert it. Since the heater feels secure, I think nothing further of it. The clip is after all resting on the exterior of the insertion hole. Once I attach the cord and plug in I begin to see smoke. As Richard Pryor once said, fire has a way of clarifying things. I unplugged the cord from the outlet and from the heater. Then I removed the heater. Here is what I found

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I get a faulty part? The cord fit quite snugly to the heater as you can see from above. What could've caused the melt down?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I could be way off here, but I'm not convinced you had it in the correct hole.
    Something about the perimeter of the hole in your pics doesn't look right. The casting, of the edge of the hole looks so nicely rounded. the proper hole has squared edges, I thought. And the clip rides over and clips around one of those edges.
    What was the P/N of your block heater?

3. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 22 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]483415[/snapback]</div>
    The receipt from metrotpn.com says 00113-00213-00885

I realize from the pictures you can't really see where the insertion hole is relative to the rest of the engine but I am nearly certain this was the right hole. Also, it would be just too weird to have an "almost" perfect hole that near the correct one. At least I wasn't aware there was another hold nearby. I think I had the right spot. The clip did ride over and seat on the outside of the hole. You just couldn't see it from the picture.

Ugh. Was this a gen I part?

Ugh again. It was. Just checked the email confirmation. Do I win a moron prize? I hope so. I could use a beer or something.

4. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Jul 23 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]483422[/snapback]</div>
    I'm probably wrong.....but your heater should have inserted more fully. It looks almost wedged into the hole.
    The reason I say this when compared to the attached pic, the casting around your hole looks more rounded, and lacks the flat edge, compared to this one.
    (Lifted from Hobbit's site)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tballx @ Jul 23 2007, 12:19 AM) [snapback]483422[/snapback]</div>
    Block heater
    pn. C0140-00885 fits Echo, 2001-03 Prius, Matrix XR not XRS

pn. C0140-00889
    fits 2004-06 Prius, NOTE: these are the Canadian Toyota Parts

I think you got the wrong part

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My bet is wrong hole.
    Also, have you applied the thermo grease?

Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jul 23 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]483477[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, after seeing your pic, he had the right hole, but definetly wrong part, and not positioned properly.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It would sound to me that as long as you have clear documentation that you ordered the part for a 2004-2007 Prius, they sent you the wrong part and you have a grievance.

I would write them an email, link to this thread, and let them decide what to do.

If they (metrotpn.com) rectify the situation quickly and appropriately, I think many Priuschat members would consider them as a supplier in the future. On the other hand, if they (metrotpn.com) try to jerk you around, I'm sure a lot of Priuschat members will be made aware of that as well. Please be sure to keep us posted as to your resolution.

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Part number for '07 Prius is 00113-00213-00889. Call Jesse at metro and he'll straighten it out.

Wayne

10. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is the difference between P/N 00885 and 00889 are AC cable length.
    The heater elements are the same.

Ken@Japan

11. priussoris

priussoris New Member

What I have read here is that too much of the heat Grease in the hole will not allow the heater to be installed all the way will create a air pocket and then the heater will get too hot and melt the connections.

12. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ Jul 23 2007, 02:21 PM) [snapback]483689[/snapback]</div>
    The clip is also a little different as well as the head of the cord that plugs onto the body of the heating element.

Wayne

13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 23 2007, 09:03 AM) [snapback]483527[/snapback]</div>
    If it was ordered online from metroph, that may be the problem... The online selection for the part defaults to the Gen 1 prius part, and unless you are really, really observant, that's the one you'd inadvertantly "add to cart" and put an order in for.... Almost did it myself.
    "
    Any how, I've read also that the heater are the same, just with different length cords too. Too much grease and not positioned properly to latch clip over flat side of casting. IMHO now. The pics of the hole are from different angles. And I don't think there's another hole that even comes close to possibly working.

14. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 23 2007, 08:53 AM) [snapback]483521[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, looking more closely at the OP's photo versus Ken's, I don't think the holes are the same at all. Notice how much more of a sharp curve there is (in the casting) around the EBH hole in Ken's photo. I realize the angles at which both photos were taken are different. However, that curve in the OP's photo does not look like Ken's. Just my opinion, of course.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Hope you get it resolved quickly & to your satisfaction.

15. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 23 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]483779[/snapback]</div>
    That's exactly what had to have happened. I'm sure it's my own fault for not being as observant as I should've been. I've ordered the correct part this time and we'll see.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 23 2007, 05:53 AM) [snapback]483521[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly.

16. tballx

tballx New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 22 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]483447[/snapback]</div>
    So now as I sit here staring at the new part that just arrived, I realize it looks EXACTLY the same as the old part. This time however I'm certain I ordered the right one - 00889 and that is what the confirmation email, receipt and box ALL say. Also, although I indicated the receipt for the previous part said 00885 (and it did), I now see that the BOX in which the old part was contained said 00889. The new part looks exactly the same as the part I fried. The cord is 79 inches long. Anybody know the cord length of the 2004-2007 block heater. This is really frustrating me. What the Heck?! AARRRRGH.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still convinced you didn't put the core in the right hole...there's just no way to get the photo angle you showed....trust me, I've tried.

I suspect you have the right part but need to confirm the placement location.

This is the best picture I could come up with to demonstrate the proper location:
    [​IMG]

And here's a close up of the core:
    [​IMG]

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay. You guys are scaring me.

I'm going in on the group buy with everyone else. I'm going to have to install this thing myself unless Wayne decides to take a vacation to sunny So. Cal. I was pretty confident. I installed my mudflaps, bumper cover, BT plate and hood deflector. I figured I could do this too. Now I'm not so sure.

19. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 31 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]487862[/snapback]</div>
    Trust the doc. He's 99% right all of the time! I also spent a _long_ time trying to get a clear shot of the hole and the best way to do was from under the car - the same as efusco. So, as some one who's installed a block heater, I agree with the doc.

Here's the old thread that the elders discussed...
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=11176&st=160

But all the pictures are gone... dang it.

20. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The original block heater was the correct one even if the receipt said 00885. I would like to see the picture of the hole again, currently it's missing from PC. I suggest you place something in the hole you used and take a picture so we can confirm the right hole.

Wayne