1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Heater stopped working (all else fails b4 toyota)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by philmcneal, Sep 23, 2007.

1. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone hasn't experience driving your prius out of the driveway with the block heater plugged in beware, maybe my story will remind you to un-plug before you get into your car.

I've done it once, no twice actually more than a few times now, and to this point when i examine the plug I think I might have stretched it out by a feet or so. But when looking under the front body I notice I can push the wire back into where it came from and the wire will retract its short cord that it was setup before. A closer look at the plug reveals the ground wire cracked and one of the other reactor wire slightly bent so...

It used to work, I sometimes thought it was the ground wire so I would purposely tighten the ground wire (because the crack was splitting the wire in two) before plugging it in (dangerous!) and it would work. But now it stopped and soldering the ground wire didn't help, so I'm not sure what to do next besides cough up cash to the toyota dealer...

could i possibly rip the internal wires of the metal block? but why was it working before for a bit? Could the plug be an issue and how do I get new copper materials for it?

Here are some pics to show the damage of my plug after driving it plugged a few times

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please help! I miss plugging it in and getting 50 mpg + on cold trips.

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can just splice on a new plug. Everything you need should be readily available at one of the big home improvement stores. Just make sure that it's rated for outdoor use. And quit driving away with it plugged in! Put a note on your steering wheel or something.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those of us who've had the same problem found that the wires tend to break just behind the reinforced area by the plug itself. Cut the wire a couple inches back from that reinforced area, splice in your new cord and you should be back in business.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=36087

4. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II