1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Block Tester Protocol

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, Jun 27, 2023.

1. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've searched around for use of "Block Tester BT-500 Combustion Leak Test Kit" and watched videos and wondered if those more experienced people can give steps for use on a Gen 3 Prius. There is some conflicting info out there and I'd rather not guess (or burn myself, or not test thoroughly). Some ppl advise coolant tank insertion, directions specify radiator. Some cars are running, some aren't.

I am armed with Block Tester and turkey baster in hand (in case I should lower level of coolant first). Better to ask a stupid question and all that. Thank you!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Lower the level Make sure it's hot already just because. Screw the doodad onto the radiator cap space or anywhere you can get in pressure of the system all that gas that's getting pumped from your piston is going to be in the coolant and in the space for coolant the airspace all of it is going to turn that testing thing green You can watch wizard and all the guys online do it on all the shows that bombard your Facebook page that's what they're really doing when they do that test.

#2 Tombukt2, Jun 27, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  3. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the reply, but "make sure it's hot already" is one of the parts I'm concerned about as I thought it was not so smart to open a coolant/radiator cap when the engine is hot? Many videos have a warning about waiting at least 2 hours before doing so. I have PTSD from a friend getting really burned doing this when we were kids.