1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blog with readers misconceptions about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JoanneR, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JoanneR

JoanneR Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was posted on my favorite blog: "Until better batteries are developed, factor in an expensive replacement cost every five years or so. Also, crashes become hazmat cleanups, and in crashes with full-size vehicles the Prius and other lightweights always lose. What's that worth in virtue? " Is that true about "hazmat" cleanups? If anyone cares to reply to some of the misconceptions:

The J-Walk Blog: Hybrid Cars (Comments)

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't have the patience or the need to argue with every misinformed person who posts on the internet, but if you want to use these thoughts, be my guest:

1. The battery warranty for my car (07 Prius, bought in Calif) is 10yrs/150k miles whichever comes first. If the battery needs to be replaced every 5 yrs, then Toyota will be replacing at least one battery in my car for free. Not likely.

2. The Emergency Response Guide for the Prius says that the HV battery is very unlikely to leak, even when damaged in a collision. The electrolyte is in gel form and absorbed into the battery cell plates. In the event of spillage, the electrolyte can be neutralized by a weak acid (boric or acetic aka vinegar). The location of the battery above the rear axle makes it unlikely to be damaged except in the most extreme collisions. The danger of a gasoline spill and fire is many times more likely.

3. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Posted comment:

Lots more I wanted to say, but up against the character limit.

The whole hazmat thing is nonsense. A NimH battery is considerably less toxic and less dangerous than many of the other things that come out of a car in a wreck. The electrolyte is Potassium Hydroxide (KOH), which is not the nicest stuff out there but breaks down quickly and can be neutralized with vinegar. The KOH also isn't really in a liquid form, so its not going to be splashing around all over the place. I'd be much more concerned about the ethylene glycol from the antifreeze, sulfuric acid from the starter battery, and gasoline present in any vehicle.

Rob