1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blow Up My Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jonnycat26, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two guys and a gal are trying to raise 100,000 (dollars, not pesos) which they will then use to blow up their HSD Prius.

I kid you not.

http://www.cargoboom.com/

Personally, I'd let them have my car for MSRP. :)

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

That was too funny!

I give the guys an "A" for humor. Personally I don't think the plan will work either, but they sure put together a funny site to try.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They can have my car for $5,000 over MSRP with a three month wait. :D

Why do they need 100 grand unless, of course, they plan on putting on a good show for $30,000 and pocketing the remaining $70,000.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 1 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]264397[/snapback]</div>
    I'd imagine the cleanup and explosives aren't cheap... and permits to blow up cars probably cost a pretty penny too.

And MSRP + 5K? You're supposed to go under my offer, not go over it. :p I'm still the board leader at MSRP. B)

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't believe them.

First of all, did you hear that car start? That was not the sound of a Prius starting.
    Second, did you hear that engine rev and hear the sound of tires squealing as they pulled away from the curb? Again, not Prius sounds.

So lets see.
    They will take a Prius out to the desert. O.K.
    They will build a ramp. Also O.K.
    They will jump the Prius over the ramp. Um . . .
    And then “blow it up.†Yeah, right!

They will build a three inch ramp, jump the Prius (tires only go airborne), and then inflate (blow up) the tires.

At the end of their film will be a big-
    THANK YOU SUCKERS!!!! We have the money. We have the car. And we did what we said we would. :p :p :p :p :p

To avoid the expense of destroying a valuable car, and the costs of permits, clean-up, explosives, experts, etc. Why not save all that money and just turn the whole thing into a big joke. I would!

“Sorry, you misinterpreted what we said. Not our fault. ;)

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    javascript *and* flash, or the site doesn't work at all. Well,
    I guess I won't be a-watchin' that idiocy after all. what kind of
    chump designs a site like that, in these days of horrendous and well
    known client-side security problems...
    _H*

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Their site worked for me. Their video is amusing. But I don't see the point. And I don't think they can do what they said for $100,000. Unless they skip the permits and the clean-up, use an amateur cameraman and volunteer actors and no sort of safety equipment.

I think it's a scam.

8. The Old Man

The Old Man New Member

I think it's a scam.
    [/quote]

You think?!?

9. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

If the video is an indication of the quality of the finished movie, they should be able to pull it off for well under $100K :)
    I think I'll pass up on this one- but if someone wants to blow up a Ford Expedition, I might contribute. :lol:

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jun 2 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]264638[/snapback]</div>
    Given the fact they they are volunteer actors, and they are amateur cameramen, I think you're half right.

I really hope they do it tho... stuff blowing up is fun.

11. claybird

claybird New Member

Howdy people!

I'm one of the guys from the video/website -- we saw we were getting a bunch of traffic from this site so I thought I'd check it out.

I was expecting pretty severe backlash from a site called "PriusChat", but was psyched to see at least a few of you thought it was funny (by far our #1 goal).

To answer a few questions:
    1) It's defintiely not a scam. Matt (the other guy) works for a production company and has already talked with their special effects crew about the project. We're planning on posting a video of an interview with them in the coming weeks.

2) It's very expensive to pull this off. You already know how expensive Priuses are (especially nice ones), plus blowing up a car is pricey as well (minimum $30K).

3) We want to make an actual short film -- not just a video like we have on the site now. We want it to look like a Jerry Bruckheimer (think Armageddon) kind of movie -- ridiculously over the top kind of stuff. This is also very expensive.

Last thing, sorry if you can't access the site -- yes, you do need flash and javascript, but it's obviously not malicious. We really wanted to make the site fun and interactive and flash was by far the best way to do that.

I won't be around the rest of the weekend in case anyone has more questions, but thanks for checking us out....any support is very welcome...

Clay

Oh, for the guy who couldn't use the site, here's a link right to the video on youtube and google video:

Youtube:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=rvWrBdSR8lY

Google Video:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8928096078649991030

12. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jun 1 2006, 08:49 PM) [snapback]264430[/snapback]</div>
    oh, about 80% of all commercial websites. Flash as JS are ubiquitous.

13. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 2 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]264668[/snapback]</div>
    I guess he hasn't gone to Toyota.com, which on some days won't work with FF. Easily one of the worst offenders around.

14. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Will the mess be cleaned up and the site restored to sustainable pre-blow-up status, or is this all just virtual reality?

15. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    question: why?

i'm thinking exploding a prius isn't going to be good for the environment.

another thought: what you are doing for comedy could be redirected to help so many people who could be in need of that money

16. Mauibound

Mauibound New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First of all, I thought the video was hilarous. The Greenpeace shots were great too. And the people dancing around on your site was pretty funny too. Nice job!

Instead of blowing-up a Prius though, why not be funny AND make a statement and blow up a Hummer, or a Tahoe, or some other gas guzzler. In fact, I'm in the process of purchasing a Prius. How about if you pay me for my SUV instead of your friend's Prius and you can blow up my car?

If nothing else, just think in practical terms. I think there are a lot more people out there in the world that would be willing to donate 1 dollar to blow up an SUV than there are who would be willing to blow up a Prius.

17. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I thought it was amusing as well, but failed to see the point. Why raise 100K to blow up a perfectly good 30K car, when they could get an old but still-running junker and achieve the same ending? And save a whole lot of $ too... :huh:

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jun 2 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]264717[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I don't know for sure... but the Prius's aerodynamic qualities and light weight probably make it ideal for flying through the air. Hell, if they want it, they could talk me into taking mine for KBB value.

19. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jun 2 2006, 10:24 AM) [snapback]264718[/snapback]</div>
    They could probably find a car lighter and easier to make airborne than the Prius...like a CRX or Metro or GLC...or one of those new microcars that I've seen around that tend to retail for a lot less than a Prius.

20. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you want to see something blow up, download the MythBusters episode where they blow up a concrete mixer truck. When it comes to blowing stuff up, it'll be the bigger, the better.